Past Events for 2010
You want to co-sleep, but your partner says it's unhealthy. You want to respond to your child's needs, but your parent says that's coddling. What does an AP parent do when a partner resists? Is it really about AP... or an underlying issue? Listen in as API Co-Founder and co-author of Attached at the Heart Lysa Parker and former NBC anchor Lu Hanessian discuss marriage and parenting with Dr. Laura Markham. The call will take place on February 22 at 9PM EST / 6PM PST. Don't worry about conflicts -- everyone who registers will receive a link to download the MP3 the week after the event!
Snohomish County Attachment Parenting (API) proudly hosts Naomi Aldort, author of “Raising Our Children Raising Ourselves.” Transform your parent-child relationship from struggle, to freedom, appreciation, and joy.
- When: Friday, February 26, 2010
- Cost: $10.00 per adult, $15.00 per couple at the door. Infants and non-separating children welcome. Refreshments included!
- Time: 6:30 – 9:00 p.m. Silent Auction begins at 6:30, with Naomi to begin at 7:00, auction ends around 8:45. All proceeds from the auction go to Snohomish API.
- Where: The Bridge Church of Snohomish County 2500 Lake Ave Snohomish, WA 98290
- Directions: Just south of the intersection of Highway 9 and US 2. From Highway 9, take 30th street/John Jump road. You will see King Charlies right on the corner. Go to the stop sign, and take a right on Lake Avenue. The Bridge is just down the street on the right, with a sign out front. If you take the entrance by the sign, you will get the parking lot in front of the church. Please be aware that Google Maps and Mapquest do not yet have the correct location for Lake Avenue and cannot direct you to the church.
March 12-14, 2010 - API Board of Directors President Janet Jendron will be a special guest at the upcoming La Leche League of North Carolina Annual Breastfeeding and Parenting Conference. For more information, or to register, visit lllofnc.org.
March 22, 2010 - Listen In: API Live with Bonnie Harris
LISTEN IN as Lu Hanessian moderates a lively and revealing conversation with API co-founder Barbara Nicholson and parenting specialist Bonnie Harris about what's really behind the reactivity and power struggles with our kids.
The call will take place on March 22 at 9PM EST / 6 PM PST. Submit your questions for Bonnie Harris to API Live in advance and we will try to address them during the call.
You can support API's mission and take advantage of the knowledge and experience Ask API Live's special guest by signing up today. Every dollar of your sign up fee goes toward education, support and outreach for parents in need. And don't worry about last minute conflicts -- everyone who signs up will receive a link to download the MP3 the week after the event.
Attachment Parenting International announces a special Infant Massage Certification Training in Nashville, TN, April 27-30 to launch their joint initiative for parents. Join API Cofounders Barbara Nicholson and Lysa Parker at this fun and interactive workshop that helps you guide parents to connect and bond with their babies through nurturing touch. Deadline is April 23; firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Course:
- A comprehensive, interactive, evidence-based, 4-day training
- A 15-point curriculum, designed by Vimala McClure, author of Infant Massage, A Handbook for Loving Parents
- The oldest and largest infant massage training program – presented for over 30 years in over 40 countries around the world
- Participate in three parent-baby classes
- Protocol and techniques presented to work with babies born premature and with developmental challenges
API Leaders and Leader Applicants attend at a 50% discount!
June 25-27, 2010 - API Board Members, President Janet Jendron and Lu Hanessian, were guest speakers at the Texas La Leche League Conference in June, 2010
July 25, 2010 - Gary Nicholson, husband of API cofounder Barbara Nicholson -- and professional singer and songwriter for Garth Brooks, George Strait, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Ringo Starr, BB King, and Grammy award winning producer for Delbert McClinton--will give a benefit concert on July 25, with proceeds benefiting API and the Garland Country Music Association. Thank you, Gary and Barbara, for all you do for API!
July 26, 2010 - API Live - Separation Anxiety--Your Child's and Yours with Elizabeth Pantley
Purchase this call to hear hosts Lu Hanessian and our own API cofounders talk with Elizabeth Pantley, author of The No-Cry Separation Anxiety Solution: Gentle Ways to Make Good-Bye Easy from Six Months to Six Years about:
- If you work so hard at creating attachment, why encourage separation?
- Do AP children have more separation anxiety than others?
- If you have a baby who won't let you out of her sight without crying, how do you handle that?
- Should an AP parent ever leave their child with a babysitter?
- What do you do if your child cries when you leave him with a sitter?
- Is it normal for a parent to suffer separation anxiety?
- What are your tips for parents who have a hard time separating from their children?
August 16, 2010 - API Live - Mayim Bialik and Attachment Parenting
Purchase this call to hear hosts Lu Hanessian and API cofounder Barbara Nicholson talk with attachment parenting mother of two and actress Mayim Bialik.
- Hear about Mayim's personal AP parenting experiences
- Find out about her new projects, including an AP book she's writing on what babies need (and don't need) and why she feels so compelled to spread the word.
Register for this call to hear hosts Lu Hanessian and API cofounder Barbara Nicholson talk with Nadine Block about:
- the practice and effect of spanking on cognitive and physical well-being
- the confusion surrounding spanking and good behavior
- how our own childhood experience drives our decision to spank or not
- what to do if your spouse and you disagree on spanking and more.
Register for this call to hear hosts Lu Hanessian and Barbara Nicholson speak with special guest Susan Stiffelman. You'll discover how to:
- Transform frustration and aggression into adaptation and cooperation
- Keep your cool when your kids push your buttons, talk back or refuse to "play nice"
- Nourish deep attachment with young and older kids
- Help your ADD'ish child survive and thrive, even if you're ADD'ish yourself
- Inoculate your kids from negative thinking and peer pressure that lead to anger, anxiety, depression, or behavior issues
- Help children manage the emotional challenges of divorce
Register for this call to hear hosts Lu Hanessian and API co-founder Lysa Parker talk with Judy Arnall about common school related issues including bullying, homework, time management and peer relationships.
September 30 - October 3, 2010 - Lamaze International/International Childbirth Education Association United for the Future of Birth Mega Conference, Milwaukee, WI, API cofounders Lysa Parker and Barbara Nicholson will be presenting and exhibiting.
October 1-3, 2010 - La Leche League of Georgia 31st Breastfeeding and Parenting Conference, Calloway Gardens, Pine Garden, GA, API will be exhibiting.
October 2, 2010 - Safe Infant Sleep Symposium, Fort Wayne Indiana, API is cosponsoring this event, Advisory Board Member James McKenna is the featured speaker.
October 10-12, 2010 - Symposium on Human Nature and Early Experience: Addressing the "Environment of Evolutionary Adaptedness", Notre Dame, IN, API cofounders are attending and API Advisory Board member James McKenna is speaking. Conference organizer shares in this video about her research on child rearing practices of distant ancestors and how they foster morality, compassion in kids.
October 14, 2010 - Join us for the Mothering Babywearing Twitter Party, Oct. 14th at 7PM PST/10PM EST!! #MMAG The party will be the place to be on Thursday evening for a LIVE discussion on the benefits and safety of babywearing. Expect a fast-paced chat with Mothering's Peggy O'Mara, API's Lysa Parker and others. Get your questions answered, share your love of babywearing, and win some great prizes!
October 14-17, 2010 - Nashville, TN, MANA 2010 Conference, featuring a roast of the Farm Midwives and Ina May Gaskin
October 21-24, 2010 - Washington DC, Freedom for Family Wellness...Celebrating the Shift to Conscious Choice, API will be hosting an exhibit.
October 24, 2010 - API's Lu Hanessian will be speaking on Sunday, October 24, at the Freedom for Family Wellness Conference in DC on "Create Your Parent-digm Shift: Reclaiming Relationship as the Pathway to Resilience, Connection and Well-being."
Imagine if we could influence each other's brains through relationship. Have our pervasive parenting practices been limiting our kids' development by teaching them to be more defensive and anxious, even from birth, and keeping us in energy-draining patterns of relating? The brain is a social organ. Our relationships affect the very structure of our brains from birth, embedding our stories and experiences. But, just as relationships can have a negative effect on our brain, they can positively change our brain too, restoring our joy, health and well-being and making us "stronger in the broken places". What is it about the amazingly powerful right side of our brain that both holds the key to nurturing deeper connection as well as the lock on our emotional trauma and unconscious? In this session, Lu Hanessian shares the latest science of how we can each discover the heart of connection and health through neural integration--and live more peaceful lives through understanding the purpose and power of relationship.
- what is required of us to shift from defensive parenting to intuitive, empathic relationship
- why we get stuck
- how to shift from cause-and-effect to the "cause of affect"
- why emotion, affect and motivation are our GPS in navigating this "parent-digm shift"
- why it's our tone of voice that others process first
- how our "flawed interactions" are the gateway to cultivating emotional resilience
- why our right brain is the "greenhouse" for growing our relationships, healing our traumas and cultivating vitality
October 25, 2010 - API Live - "Full of Love: Giving our children a foundation for lifelong health through attachment parenting" with special guests Dr. Bill Sears & Dominique Hodgin, M.Ed.c, NE
Register for this call to hear hosts Lu Hanessian and API co-founder Lysa Parker speak with Dr. Bill Sears and Dominique Hodgin M.Ed.c., NE about keeping our children full of love for emotional and physical health.
October 25-29, 2010 - Come join us for our online discussion with Dr. Linda Palmer, the author of The Baby Bond this October 25th through the 29th!
October 28-30, 2010 - Atlanta, GA, Imago Relationships International 7th Annual Conference with Keynote speaker John Gottman, Ph.D., API will be exhibiting.
November 1-2, 2010 - Dallas, TX, Practical Parenting Conference, API may be exhibiting.
Register for this upcoming live teleseminar to hear hosts Lu Hanessian and API co-founder Barbara Nicholson talk with Jean Illsley Clarke as they talk about current information regarding parenting and tough traits like greed, helplessness, and self-centeredness, and discuss:
- Can I give my children too much?
- How do I recognize overindulgence?
- Toys, events, and activities: meeting the child's needs or the parent's needs?
- What effect does overindulgence have on effort, learning, and potential and my child's life aspirations?
- Overindulgence and common parenting challenges like television/screen time and chores