Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• June Book Choice

Hello Everyone,

If you could vote on the book for us to read in June that would be greatly appreciated; poll will close on May 9th. You might find these books at your local library, a used book store, your support group's lending library, or you can buy them online. If you will be buying them consider using our widget to see if they are listed so that API can receive a percentage of the transaction as a referral fee from your click.

A description of the book choices are below... lett the votes begin!

Hold onto Your Kids: Why Parents Need to Matter More Than Peers by Gordon Neufeld; excerpt from Amazon:

From Publishers Weekly
    Starred Review. Like countless other parents, Canadian doctors Neufeld and Maté woke up one day to find that their children had become secretive and unreachable. Pining for time with friends, they recoiled or grew hostile around adults. Why? The problem, Neufeld and co-writer Maté suggest, lies in a long-established, though questionable, belief that the earliest possible mastery of the rules of social acceptance leads to success. In a society that values its economy over culture, the book states, the building of strong adult/child attachments gets lost in the shuffle. Multiple play dates, day care, preschool and after school activities groom children to transfer their attachment needs from adults to their peers. They become what the authors call "peer oriented." The result is that they squelch their individuality, curiosity and intelligence to become part of a group whose members attend school less to learn than to socialize. And these same children are bullying, shunning and murdering each other, as well as committing suicide, at increasing rates. The authors' meticulous exploration of the problem can be profoundly troubling. However, their candidness and exposition lead to numerous solutions for reestablishing a caring adult hierarchy. Beautifully written, this terrific, poignant book is already a bestseller in Canada.
    Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

Unconditional Parenting by Alfie Kohn; excerpt from Amazon:

From Publishers Weekly
    Author of nine books, including the controversial Punished by Rewards, Kohn expands upon the theme of what's wrong with our society's emphasis on punishments and rewards. Kohn, the father of young children, sprinkles his text with anecdotes that shore up his well-researched hypothesis that children do best with unconditional love, respect and the opportunity to make their own choices. Kohn questions why parents and parenting literature focus on compliance and quick fixes, and points out that docility and short-term obedience are not what most parents desire of their children in the long run. He insists that "controlling parents" are actually conveying to their kids that they love them conditionally—that is, only when they achieve or behave. Tactics like time-out, bribes and threats, Kohn claims, just worsen matters. Caustic, witty and thought-provoking, Kohn's arguments challenge much of today's parenting wisdom, yet his assertion that "the way kids learn to make good decisions is by making decisions, not by following directions" rings true. Kohn suggests parents help kids solve problems; provide them with choices; and use reason, humor and, as a last resort, a restorative time away (not a punitive time-out). This lively book will surely rile parents who want to be boss. Those seeking alternative methods of raising confident, well-loved children, however, will warmly embrace Kohn's message. (Mar.)Forecast: Kohn is a controversial and popular author/speaker, well regarded by scholars and educators. This title should appeal to parents who want to explore the "whys" and not just the "hows" of raising kids.
    Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

How to Talk So Kids Will Listen, and Listen so Kids Will Talk by Adele Faber; excerpt from Amazon

Amazon.com
    How to Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk is an excellent communication tool kit based on a series of workshops developed by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish. Faber and Mazlish (coauthors of Siblings Without Rivalry) provide a step-by-step approach to improving relationships in your house. The "Reminder" pages, helpful cartoon illustrations, and excellent exercises will improve your ability as a parent to talk and problem-solve with your children. The book can be used alone or in parenting groups, and the solid tools provided are appropriate for kids of all ages. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

Thank you
    Unconditional Parenting by Alfie Kohn
    22.73%
    Hold onto Your Kids by Gordon Neufeld
    45.45%
    How to Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk by Adele Faber
    31.82%

The poll is expired.

June/July members choice: Hold On To Your Kids by Gordon Neufeld

Hello Everyone,

The votes are in! We'll be Hold on to Your Kids by Gordon Neufeld for the months of June and July... a great book for the summer! Please feel free to pick up his book at your local API lending library, neighborhood library, used book store, or by purchasing it directly from Amazon.com. Stay tuned as to whether we'll have an author moderated forum with him or not

Comment

Hi,

I would like to participate in the June book discussion. I know it's kinda early for it... but I haven't done this before and I wonder how I can go about entering the private forum site when it's set up. Please let me know, thank you!

Comment

Hello Kaimcai,

Welcome and I am so glad that you are excited about joining us in these next two months of our book discussion. I know you will have lots of fun and find plenty of inspiration. To join the discussion, you can begin posting away at your thoughts, passages that you liked, passages that you question, and questions that you'd like to see responses on. You can begin doing that at anytime.

For th author moderated chat, we are still waiting to confirm with Mr. Gordon Neufeld if he will be available to offer this option to us, so please stay tuned for those details. To subscribe to any of our author moderated chats, you would do the following:

1. Log into the forum.
        2. Click on “User CP”.
        3. Click on “Paid Subscriptions”.
        4. Choose the book seelction subscription option.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions.

Comment

Working...
        X