Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What books are you reading now?

Hello Everyone,

I'm curious what books you are reading now? I am reading "You Are Your Child's First Teacher".

Expecting our children to not remember what we've just said

Hello Everyone,

I am reading the book "You Are Your Child's First Teacher" and I am thoroughly enjoying it. I read this wonderful paragraph that really caught me and made me think about my expectations with my dd.

"It is necessary and appropriate to correct children's behavior -- to insist on what I have come to call right action. But you can't expect young children to remember what they're supposed to do the next time! It is necessary to repeat right action over and over again with emotional equanimity. Understanding that we need to correct action in the present moment without any hope of the young child's remembering it the next time can help us to keep our own tempers and to model teh right behavior over and over again."

I just loved reading that as a nice reminder that at 4.5 years old my dd is going to be needed to be reminded over and over again... makes me stop feeling like a broken record and instead feel like a loving CD that likes to be played over and over again :=)

Comment

I just checked out Unconditional Parenting - it has been a few years since I've read it and I need a refresher.

Great paragraph that you posted. My dd is the same age and the cd analogy is great! Definitely one I'm going to embrace.

Comment

I'm reading "Parenting from Your Heat" because I'm trying to get back to reading/practising Non-Violent Communication and I thought it might give me a jump start! (Wanted to say "kick in the pants" but opted for a less violent metaphor )

Comment

I just got "The Moral Judgement of the Child" by Jean Piaget. I am so interested in understanding stages of child development! It helps me with my parenting to be able to understand how children develop...cognitively, emotionally, physically, etc. This book discusses moral development from preschool to adolescence...how children learn right from wrong (or don't) as they grow & mature. I'm very excited to get started tonight!

Comment

Okay, I've finished reading "You Are Your Child's First Teacher" and really loved this book. I am now starting on of course re-reading "Everyday Blessings" but I am also reading "The Spiritual Tasks of the Homemaker" (Waldorf inspired) and "Earthly Joys" by Philippa Gregory (historical fiction). I just love to read

Comment

Hi Everyone,
              Im new here and haven't actually read many books but I did read "The Baby Sleep Book" while pregnant and loved it so much. It made my decision to co-sleep with our new baby so much more positive and my partner is ok with it now too!
              I have just ordered "The Attachment Parenting Book" and cannot wait for it to arrive!
              Has anyone else read these books by the Sears family and loved them?
              Look forward to sharing reading experiences with you all.

Comment

Welcome Caleb&SevensMum!

"The Baby Sleep" book has helped so many families come to terms with working with their precious baby to find a harmonious relationship with sleep. Have you found that to be true with which you read? What was your favorite aspect of the "The Baby Sleep" book?

I have also read by Dr. Sears "The Discipline" book, "The Attachment Parenting Book", "The Baby Book", and "The Successful Child". I truly loved all of them and gleamed so many little gems from each of them. "The Discipline" book really helped me during those toddler years minus the gentle spanking section in there. "The Attachment Parenting" book helped me truly grasp the concept of Attachment Parenting and helped me to dispel any myths to those around me. I found The Baby Book to be priceless and sort of a reference that combined "The Discipline" book, "The Baby Sleep" book, and "The Breastfeeding" book. Last but not least, "The Successful Child" book has some great pointers for when your child starts to get older and beyond the toddler years. You can truly grow with the Sears. I am so glad that they are your first introduction to Attachment Parenting!

Comment

Working...
                X