Move Remove Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recently read a book that I've never seen mentioned by API, but that I think probably falls in line with its principles. It's called The Mother-Daughter Project and is written by SuEllen Hamkins and Renee Schultz. They have a web site: www.themother-daughterproject.com.

The book is really geared towards older kids - which might be nice since so much of what we do is geared toward younger kids. And even those of us who don't have older kids yet will one day!

I'm curious to know if anyone else has read it and what they thought. I loved the ideas in it for connecting with your growing daughters.

Comment

This is definitely one that we will be discussing. I believe it's not slated out until August... it was originally for May. Thanks for remembering this!

Comment

My favorites are Connection Parenting, The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (LLL), and The Baby book (Dr. Sears). Right now I'm reading ScreamFree Parenting by Hal E. Runkel. It's really easy to read and has a lot of good guy stuff in it like superheros and Judo! Great for Dads and I'm breezing through it.

Comment

Parenting for a Peaceful World, by Robin Grille

Comment

A few more:
            Raising Your Spirited Child or Kids Parents and Power Struggles Mary Sheedy Kurcinka
            Parenting from the Inside Out Siegel
            5 Love Languages of Children Chapman and Campbell

Can you tell I am a book junkie?

Comment

LOL... I've read all of those and they would be great for book discussions! Thank you for suggesting them! :-) One book junkie to another

Comment

Raising An Emotionally Intelligent Child by John Gottman

Building Emotional Intelligence: Techiques to Cultivate Inner Strength in Children by Linda Lantieri and Daniel Goleman

I am starting these in a month. I just got them in the mail.

Comment

My favorite AP reads are:

Our Babies/Our Selves, Small
                  Everyday Blessings
                  The Vital Touch, Heller
                  The Tao of Motherhood
                  All Dr. Sears books
                  The Womanly Art of BF
                  Hold on to your children
                  Continuum Concept

Comment

I just read "Baby Sense" I just lent it out so I don't know the author but it was fantastic! Very AP

Comment

A group member of ours found a great book at a garage sale and donated it to our library, one I had never heard of or seen mentioned in AP circles: Your Competent Child by Jesper Juul. I can't say enough great things about it! Very AP and such a great read.

Comment

Thank you. I've put it on the recommended list. What did you like about the book? What did you walk away from it with? Just wondering :-)

Comment

Originally posted by knitwit View Post
                          A group member of ours found a great book at a garage sale and donated it to our library, one I had never heard of or seen mentioned in AP circles: Your Competent Child by Jesper Juul. I can't say enough great things about it! Very AP and such a great read.
                          Thank you as well. I've put it on the list. Can you find out from your group member what she really liked about the book? I love to have these snippets of what people liked about the books.

Comment

Stephanie -

The full title for the book is Your Competent Child: Toward New Basic Values for the Family. It is written by a Danish family therapist who has been in practice for over 30 years. It's not a book that has a lot of specifics on how you should parent, but is more of a "big picture" type. It's overall message is treating each other with equal dignity. He gets into the psychology (but not too much so) behind more traditional parenting practices and the benefits we see from treating children with kindness and respect from the moment of birth. He has sections on creating over-responsible children (which really spoke to me because it described my childhood), teenage rebellion, the conflict between integrity and cooperation, self esteem vs. self confidence, and so much more.

I think his main goal in writing the book is helping parents who aren't comfortable with the traditional hierarchy in families move to new kinds of relationships based on honesty, integrity, and respect. Very thought-provoking.

Comment

reccomended reading

"Learning to wean" is a great childrens book, to gently wean yourtoddler.

Comment

How about Sequencing, I was reading about it in another book, and sounds great!
                                Sense of Self - The work of Affirmation by Tom Cottle

Comment

Working...
                                X