X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hidden Dangers: Subtle Signs of Schools Failing by Dr. Betsy Gunzelman, I actually know the author she was one of professors in college. She has done amazing research in this field and I thought the book was great! Full of wonderfuly knowledge that all parents should be armed with as our little ones head off to school.

Comment

One book that was very helpful to me as a new parent, especially as my children started becoming more independent toddlers and preschoolers was "Becoming the Parent You Want to Be" by Laura Davis and Janis Keyser. It was recommened by a LLL Leader friend. I"m always surprised that it's not on AP lists and is not more well known. What I found most helpful about it was that it helps you as a parent to reflect not only on how you were raised, but how you want to raise your children & choose an approach to common challenges based on your own introspections. The suggestions given are gentle and appropriate, but nothing is presented as "one size fits all". It was the first parenting book I read that dealt with concretes (not theory, but mananging common struggles) in a way that respected my ability to THINK as a parent, not just apply some formula.

Another book that was very helpful for me is "Mother Nurture: A Mother's Guide to Health in Body, Mind, and Intimate Relationships" by Rick Hanson, Ph.D, Jan Hanson, L.Ac., and Ricki Pollycove, M.D. It's a self-care book for mothers, especially those who are engaging in parenting practices like long-term breastfeeding, tandem nursing, bedsharing; which, although wonderful from an attachment perspective can be draining to mom's body. Instead of taking a spiritiual approach to mom's wellness, which many books do, it approaches from a phsicial perspective. I've also heard Dr. (Mr.) Hanson speak several times and really appreciate his approach.

Comment

I love everyone's suggestions!

Comment

Working...
        X