Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connection Parenting has begun!!!

Hello Everyone,

We just finished reading the book by Barbara and Lysa, Attached at the Heart. It was a wonderful read and even more exciting that we'll be able to chat with them this week about what we have read. Now we have the opportunity to read another book which is Connection Parenting by Pam Leo. If you haven't purchased your copy yet please navigate to our store. I do highly recommend the audio CD as well for those of you who do not have the time to read regularly as well as use it as a way to share information between various family members in a one-hour time frame.

A wonderful quote from Pam Leo that will help get you started into wanting to read is her quote: "The level of cooperation parents get from their children is usually equal to the level of connection children feel with their parents."

The gist of the book is (taken from her website):
    What is Connection Parenting? "Connection parenting is parenting through connection instead of coercion, through love instead of fear."

Connection Parenting recognizes that securing and maintaining a healthy parent-child bond is our primary work as parents and the key to our children's optimal human development. Our effectiveness as parents is in direct proportion to the strength of the bond we have with our child. Connection Parenting promotes parenting practices that support a strong, healthy parent-child bond.

Both authoritarian parenting and permissive parenting are reactive. Connection parenting is proactive. Rather than focusing on ways to discipline children when their feelings of disconnection result in uncooperative or unacceptable behavior, Connection Parenting focuses on ways to maintain and increase the parent-child bond/connection.

Connection parenting is an ideal, a navigation star we can look to for guidance. Whenever we question how to respond to a child we can ask ourselves, will this response create a connection or a disconnection. We feel connected when we feel listened to and loved. We feel disconnected when we feel hurt and unheard.

Sometimes a child's behavior will push our buttons and we react rather than respond. As soon as we realize we have created a disconnect, we can reconnect by doing the following:
    • Rewind - Acknowledge we have said or done something hurtful
    • Repair - Apologize and ask for forgiveness
    • Replay - Respond with love and listening
    Even if we can't parent in the most nurturing ways all the time, the more often we can, the more our children get what they need, the better they will be able to weather the times when we parent in less nurturing ways.

I look forward to reading with you!

I love this book and recommend it often!

Comment

Pam really gets it about kids, her words are so clear and authentic and helps get at the heart of the relationship. This is my hands down favorite book I have ever read. Its simple, concise and easy to read. Whenever I am feeling burnt out or disconnected, I open up her book and find a word or quote to help me shift.

I also had the pleasure of meeting Pam over a weekend and she is as passionate presenting her work face-to-face as she is in her book. Our support group is actually beginning our next Book Club with Connection Parenting.

Comment

I agree. I always recommend it to parents in my support group and in general. It's also a bonus that it is also in audio CD format so that the hubbies can get the message from the book as well :-)

Comment

I agree!!

Pam was kind enough to donate the audio book to our group. Since we got it, last October, there has been a waiting list and HUGE request for it. Both copies of our books are always checked out also.

For our Support Group book club, we ordered the book in bulk and received a discount on price and shipping.

MY favorite quote is " we cant teach children to behave better by making them feel worse. Children behave better when they feel better."

Such a profound and yet simple statement..

Comment

Working...
          X