Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being There: How far and thoughts?

Hey Everyone,

I was wondering how far you have gotten on your reading? What are your thoughts so far of it? Do you think it has some good points, some points that you don't agree with, some additional information you'd like to add? Would you recommend this book to another person? If so, who?

Okay it took me forever to pick this book up, as I was trying to finish my last book for my leader prep. But I am 2 chapters in and I am loving this book. In the beginning she warns this is not going to be a feel good book, but I beg to differ. For a stay at home mom who sometimes wonders if I am wasting my degrees and education, this is a wonderful feel good book. I feel like yes this is why I am doing what I am doing. It makes me feel great! I love it, I wish more mom's felt this way but it's one of those topics you just don't bring up with friends. I can't wait to read Sequencing on this same type of topic!!

Comment

I totally understand where you are coming from. Sometimes when the money is tight I'll think about working or if you have one of those really "rough" days I ponder but this book does re-affirm the need, if you can, to have at least one stay-at-home parent. I think you'll love this book as you get further into it.

Comment

Okay so I'm reading about the horrors of daycare now. And as a Mom who doesn't use daycare and hardly allows Grandma and Grandpa to come and babysit. How do you even broach a subject like this with friends who do use day care. Or not come across as totally judgemental when they bring it up?

Comment

I do think that a lot of daycares are not the best option for our children. What I like about her book though is that she helps the parents further on inside the book to find ways to help give their child the best of care. Ideally, it would be nice if one parent or other family member could stay home with the child but I also believe that in this day and age that isn't always possible.

In her book she gives questions for parents to ask the potential caregiver (which also means daycare) that help the parents determine if that daycare / caregiver will provide the consistent loving care that our children need. Also stresses the importance of the parents to be consistent with their caregivers as well.

I have a few friends whose children go to daycare. I think the less judgment I put on them the less it affected our friendship. I understand the reasons why they need/want to work. I can be there to help when they are looking for new caregivers to help provide them with information in the book so that they can provide consistent care while working or going to school. I think though that when I am with friends with those who do not have the option of staying at home, it just makes me even more thankful for the opportunity I have to be a stay at home parent.
          Last edited by Samantha; 05-05-2010, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X