X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting twin 9-mo-olds to sleep more independently

My twin 9-mo-olds have been in bed with us since birth, nursing on demand. The only way I've managed this is for my to be on my back, propped up on pillows all night, with one on each side. My back can no longer take this arrangement (nor can my husband), and we're desperately trying to figure out how to get the twins into their own sleeping quarters for at least a chunk of time at the beginning of the night. The whole situation is more complicated by having a 3 1/2 yr old. It seems that all their bedtimes are about the same (a good thing), but if one of the three cries is prevents others from falling asleep, or wakes them.

I've read Elizabeth Pantley's No Cry Sleep Solution, which I used with much success with my older son. With twins, however, much of it seems impossible...I can't get up to nurse one back to sleep when the other's on top of me in bed. The result - they both end up back in bed with me, my back hurts, and we're all exhausted.

Would love any suggestions from parents of twins!

Hi.

My twins are a few months behind you (6 months old), but I've also begun to wonder how this transition is going to work! I have my twins in a similar position as you describe, and then my 5 year old wraps herself around my legs because she doesn't want to be left out! I have one pillow under each arm, and then one baby resting on each side half on the pillow half on my arm, with his head safely resting on my shoulder.

Hopefully we'll both get some advice from seasoned moms, but in the meantime, here is what I've started trying. Once my boys are asleep, I scoot them gently next to me and pull the pillows away. I did just that for a while, having them still sleep next to me on either side. Now I'm starting to gingerly get up and move to one side or the other, so that the two boys are together and I am next to them. It only works about half the time, and when it does I can sleep for a few hours on my side. They snuggle up to each other, it's very sweet. I'm told that moving them together onto another sleeping surface, like a sidecarred crib, also works for many moms. I'm thinking I might try that once they are sleeping for longer stretches and comfortable with me off to the side.

I'm looking forward to other suggestions- and let me know what you try!
    WBB

Comment

9 moths old child is very small kid and I don't think so there is any way to make a 9 months old child sleep by itself. I think you and your husnd should manage one children each.
      Last edited by sweeny57; 05-28-2009, 07:27 AM.

Comment

wondering how it worked out

Originally posted by emaintheeast View Post
        My twin 9-mo-olds have been in bed with us since birth, nursing on demand. The only way I've managed this is for my to be on my back, propped up on pillows all night, with one on each side. My back can no longer take this arrangement (nor can my husband), and we're desperately trying to figure out how to get the twins into their own sleeping quarters for at least a chunk of time at the beginning of the night. The whole situation is more complicated by having a 3 1/2 yr old. It seems that all their bedtimes are about the same (a good thing), but if one of the three cries is prevents others from falling asleep, or wakes them.

I've read Elizabeth Pantley's No Cry Sleep Solution, which I used with much success with my older son. With twins, however, much of it seems impossible...I can't get up to nurse one back to sleep when the other's on top of me in bed. The result - they both end up back in bed with me, my back hurts, and we're all exhausted.

Would love any suggestions from parents of twins!
        i am mum to twin boys now 9.5 months (adjusted for prematurity) born at 33 weeks, and i am curious what worked for you, and what didn't...

i am nursing to sleep, on demand, both for naps and bedtime and in the night, my current issue is that i anticipate going back to work 3 days a week in another month or two, so i am anxious to help them learn to sleep a little more independently. not interested in weaning at all but want them to have decent naps without me. i started today with trying to move them off me while they are still drowsy, and without me there they go no more than 20 minutes,

on rare occasions they have been with grandma or aunties and they can be bounced or rocked to sleep, but they will be home with dad for some of the time i am at work, so that might be even more confusing from what i have read, some babies do better out of the house where they rightfully assume they can do their usual routine. they will happily fall asleep with daddy if he is wearing them but as he will have both boys, that will be hard, he has never worn both at once...

any ideas?

Comment

Working...
        X