• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• harmonicker
    started a topic Vocal Stimming?

Vocal Stimming?

Do any of your kiddos do it?
    Vocally stim?
    I think my son is doing this and it has been ongoing for the past week.
    A constant hum or sing of the same tune over and over and over...a series of hmms and tongue clicks...makes sense to me with him having such a huge sensory issues in his mouth, but just the duration of it is stressing to me....

• melissa_h
    replied
    Originally posted by harmonicker View Post
    very minimal now as I think his vocal stims have replaced that behavior....

I am high anxiety prone myself...(hhmm scratch head) and I know he is anxious when I am anxious...we feed off of each other so much.....

that is weird your docs would say that...anxiety in AS kids kinda comes along with the dx does it not?
    Yup, anxiety is so common. The doc that said he just has anxiety also said that aggression is not seen in kids with AS. That's when I wrote off her impression of my son. She's the doc that dx'd my daughter and hit the nail on the head with her.

I know that not all children with AS have aggression but many do because of their "strict adherence to routines" - that's when Alex acts out.

Leave a comment:

• harmonicker
    replied
    Originally posted by melissa_h View Post

Speaking of stims, how's the flapping?
    very minimal now as I think his vocal stims have replaced that behavior....

I am high anxiety prone myself...(hhmm scratch head) and I know he is anxious when I am anxious...we feed off of each other so much.....

that is weird your docs would say that...anxiety in AS kids kinda comes along with the dx does it not?

Leave a comment:

• melissa_h
    replied
    LOL about your note to self. I think my son would be besides himself if his sister was doing that hehe. My son is also very anxiety-prone (one doc thinks he doesn't have AS at all just severe anxiety) and when things are bugging him I do notice new stims.

Speaking of stims, how's the flapping?

Leave a comment:

• harmonicker
    replied
    He is anxiet prone...yes we are finishing the school year but our schooling does no tlook like school so much. I am thinking it is because of two things maybe now that you got me thinking clearly...his birthday is coming and we have a surprise for him that his sister keeps saying we have a surprise for you..*note to self never tell your 3 year old about her AS brothers surprise for his birthday*
    and his father switched shifts from days to afternoons...so there you have it...

Leave a comment:

• melissa_h
    replied
    My son has vocal tics but he used to have vocal stims when he was younger. His vocal tics vary every few months - right now it is a tounge click, the last one was clearing his throat.

Can you talk to him about it in a way that won't make him anxious about it? (Not sure if your son is anxiety-prone) If you can perhaps you can ask him how it makes him feel, etc and then see if you can come up with a replacement activity.

Has anything changed over the last week - schedule change, etc? Are you guys wrapping up your homeschool year (not sure if you unschool, etc)?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X