Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleep-deprived EEG

Who's child has had a sleep-deprived EEG? How on Earth did you keep them up? Were there any meltdowns involved?

Alexander has one Monday at 11:45 am. They have it later in the day as he does *not* sleep without assistance (melatonin, etc). So they want him up all night and then spend the morning running around as he has to fall asleep during the procedure. I imagine he is going to want to go to sleep at one point and I'm going to have to say no which will lead to a meltdown. Of course I won't just say "No" but you know what I mean hehe.

Plus it is about a 45 minute drive to the hospital (we chose the Children's Hospital as opposed to the closer one) and he loves to sleep in the car. I have to keep him awake in the car too - ideas?

I had to do one of those when I was an early teen, and I think I had some sleep in the end, but not much so it didn't count.

Maybe you can make it some kind of party night? Loads of sugar rich items you may normally limit.

It will be hard, but I'd think at least if he doesn't get much sleep, if in the end he crashes for a few hours it might still be useful. It's one of those you do what you can and hope it's enough.

Sometimes they will shock you, mine had to have an OP at 18 months and usually woke thirsty 2-3 times a night then HAD to have something to drink when he woke up, and you know he slept through that night and didn't ask for a drink in the morning, shocked us but it worked out

Comment

Originally posted by PoshMama View Post
      I had to do one of those when I was an early teen, and I think I had some sleep in the end, but not much so it didn't count.

Maybe you can make it some kind of party night? Loads of sugar rich items you may normally limit.

It will be hard, but I'd think at least if he doesn't get much sleep, if in the end he crashes for a few hours it might still be useful. It's one of those you do what you can and hope it's enough.

Sometimes they will shock you, mine had to have an OP at 18 months and usually woke thirsty 2-3 times a night then HAD to have something to drink when he woke up, and you know he slept through that night and didn't ask for a drink in the morning, shocked us but it worked out
      I'm all for being shocked! hehe I'm glad you mentioned the food idea. He is on the Feingold Diet and artificial preservatives really give him a big rush. I remember when his preschool teacher gave him Fruit Loops. I know it isn't the best thing for him but I know it would keep him awake for hours! Maybe some Fruit Loops for a midnight snack hehe. If I do that I'm going to have my hands full for sure. LOL

Comment

I haven't kept my son awake all night but I have kept him awake when very tired in the car with lots of electronic games. We have a leapster handheld and he loves to play it! Would that help?

Comment

Originally posted by APISaavik View Post
          I haven't kept my son awake all night but I have kept him awake when very tired in the car with lots of electronic games. We have a leapster handheld and he loves to play it! Would that help?
          Excellent, we have a Leapster but we haven't purchased a new game for it in a while. I think I'll buy a new game for it this weekend and then he can have that in the car. The newness of it will make him more excited.

They wanted us to bring something to calm him during the prep as he is very anxiety-prone. He is infatuated with Egypt and weather so I am going to buy him a new book to read at the hospital during prep.

Thanks for the idea!

Comment

Originally posted by APISaavik View Post
            I've done the "you better not take a nap cause you won't sleep tonight" waking up in the car. I've found usually even if they fall alseep almost once they are up again it's the 2nd wind and they can go for hours.

Even if he gets a bit of sleep in it should be enough for the EEG.

The fruit loops sound awesome! Do you have something to make them sleep too? I'd sure buy some of that LOL

Comment

I had to do several of these as a child and I remember it being harder on my dad (who was the one to stay up with me) than it was on me. Now I never stayed up all night, dad would let me sleep a few hours(3-4, I think) and I was still tired enough the next day to fall asleep for the EEG. If the process hasnt changed the room is usually pretty quiet and they can turn out lights to make it conducive to sleep. Once he has fallen asleep they may also ask you to then wake him to see the differences in patterns. Also be prepared that the putting on and taking off of the electrodes can take some time and be a bit messy, so that leapster may come in handy even once you're there.
              My dd had one done when she was 4 months but I lucked out and she slept through the whole thing and I didnt have to keep her up to do it! The hardest part with her was getting the "glue" out of her hair afterwards.
              Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by cmsobleo View Post
                The hardest part with her was getting the "glue" out of her hair afterwards.
                Good luck!
                I forgot about the yuckie stuff! maybe it's gotten better over the years?

Comment

Thanks for all the ideas. It is almost 4 am and all is well. I got about a 2.5 hour nap and I'm feeling well. Alex just could not take a nap yesterday and he is on hour 22 awake and is managing quite well.

As far as the electrodes go, they said they try tape first. He hates his head to be touched so I hope we don't need the glue.

Comment

Working...
                  X