Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spraying for bees?

A local mother (not associated with our API group) suggested that all kids stay inside during recess untill they "spray for bees" because her son and a few others are deathly allergic to bees (so they stay inside during recess). I was wondering if anyone knew if they did "spray for bees" anyway and how effective that is? I was also wondering how you felt about that idea. I personally don't think ALL the children should miss out on outside time!
    Thoughts?

hhmm .....no.... all children should not be made to stay inside due to only two with allergies.
    I guess it depends on if there are others who are able to care for the other children outside and how that all works out .
    I cannot imagine spraying for bees..this makes no sense unless they were talking about a localized bees NEST..then it makes sense.
    But to just spray the air for bees?????? How can this be effective in keeping a flying insect at bay?
    Something does not sound right to me.

Comment

Ditto Traci, something sounds odd.

Comment

our area sprays for mosquitos. maybe this mother is confused and thinks the local spraying is for bees, too?

Comment

Yes I was a little confused, but wanted to be sensitive to the mother, of course. Her children go to a large public school so I don't think it is a matter of staff but of fairness and not wanting her child to stick out or feel left out.
          Her main idea was making the entire school system nut free. I know she is concerned about her child's safety but it would seem harder to me to 'police' the entire student and teacher body to keep out nuts then intensely monitor the areas the allergic children are in. I would worry that everyone would relax about nuts and one would 'get in'.
          Thoughts?

Comment

still very odd..you cannot make the entire school system free of nuts.
            Like myself and my DD we really on nuts as a staple to our diet ( veg heads).
            The school does need to be made aware of his needs maybe through and IEP type thing so that everyone knows across the board that come sin contact with the child.
            Otherwise, I would continue to talk to her about schooling options and the main one being bringing him home to learn; then she will remove many stressors with the whole issue.
            something still seems amiff...

Comment

many schools are now nut-free. the school i work in is and my husband works in a different system and the entire system is nut-free. the issue would be if a kid packed PBJ in his lunch, got some on his hands, went down the stairs using the hand rail and then another kid, who is allergic, would touch it. i have even heard of some kids that are so sensitive that they can't even be in the same room as peanuts.

Comment

Originally posted by PaxMamma View Post
                many schools are now nut-free. the school i work in is and my husband works in a different system and the entire system is nut-free. the issue would be if a kid packed PBJ in his lunch, got some on his hands, went down the stairs using the hand rail and then another kid, who is allergic, would touch it. i have even heard of some kids that are so sensitive that they can't even be in the same room as peanuts.
                wow..OK well I was way off on that one....

Comment

Working...
                X