X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CNN was: Puzzle Piece Discussion

CNN’s U.S. coverage in honor of World Autism Day begins at 6 a.m. April 2 on American Morning with Dr. Sanjay Gupta acting as a guide to autism issues throughout the day. Some of the day’s highlights include a program on CNN en Espanol on the educational needs of children with autism; the one-hour special “Finding Amanda,” which tells the story of adults who live with autism from their perspective; a report on the acclaimed documentary Autism: the Musical, which recently aired on HBO; and stories of how families with older children handle transitions and challenges.

On CNN.com, the "Paging Dr. Gupta” blog and “Paging Dr. Gupta” podcast will also feature helpful information for families on autism.

CNN is also encouraging viewers to share firsthand accounts of life with autism through video, photo, audio or text submissions to http://www.ireport.com/; CNN’s recently launched user-generated community Web site. Autism-related iReports are available at www.iReport.com/tags/autism.
    Last edited by harmonicker; 04-09-2008, 11:49 AM. Reason: the thread is changing topic

Some here may be interested in Momologue's Blogging for Autism Awareness campaign for April.

http://momologue.blogspot.com/2008/0...or-autism.html

It is a bunch of moms blogging about autism awareness from all different viewpoints. Usually there is a lot of division in the autism community but everyone is coming together to help raise awareness this month, I thought it was great.

Comment

cool... thanks for sharing Melissa!

Comment

did anyone catch any of this? every time i tuned in, it was politics or weather.

Comment

nope..meant to set my DVR for some of it and never did..the TV just does not "pull me in"...lol..
          I hope they had something worth all the advertisement for it

Comment

Larry King also did a segment. You can view it here:
            http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/larry.king.live/

API does not take a stand on whether vaccines are a cause of autism, but encourages parents to become fully informed of available research before making decisions about their children's vaccination schedule.

Comment

Thanks Wildberry

Comment

okay, finally got a chance to watch the j. mccarthy thing, but it was cut off in the middle-bummer. this was the first i've ever heard from her, although i've heard a lot of hype, just no personal experience. the jay gordon sitting next to her, is this the same AP/nighttime parenting guy?

also, can anyone explain to me the "puzzle piece" symbols. why am i seeing it everywhere connected to autism?

Comment

Originally posted by PaxMamma View Post

also, can anyone explain to me the "puzzle piece" symbols. why am i seeing it everywhere connected to autism?

From the NAS:
                  I have called this talk 'Perspective on a puzzle piece' the logo of the Society, and I therefore should give a brief history of it. It was designed by a parent member of the Executive Committee, Gerald Gasson, and the minutes of the Executive Meeting of 14 February 1963 read: 'The Committee decided that the symbol of the Society should be the puzzle as this did not look like any other commercial or charitable one as far as they could discover'. It first appeared on our stationary and then on our newsletter in April 1963. Our Society was the first autistic society in the world and our puzzle piece has, as far as I know, been adopted by all the autistic societies which have followed, many of which in their early days turned to us for information and advice.

The puzzle piece is so effective because it tells us something about autism: our children are handicapped by a puzzling condition; this isolates them from normal human contact and therefore they do not 'fit in'. The suggestion of a weeping child is a reminder that autistic people do indeed suffer from their handicap.

If, in the future, we can invest in our Society even more thought, effort and commitment, our puzzle piece will, at least in this country, become no longer just a logo on a letterhead but a symbol of hope for autistic people and their families.

Comment

thanks for the info, traci. i have a lot of gut reactions to this, so won't go there for now....

Comment

i wasn't able to figure out how to watch the rest of the larry king segment, but i was able to read the transcripts. it was mentioned that there's a bill in some house somewhere to study vaxed vs. non-vaxed kids. anyone know about this?

Comment

I was reading through my blogroll today; I subscribe to many blogs from parents of children with autism and autistic adults that believe in a variety of different approaches so not trying to make any point in posting this.

So anyhow, I came across this post that discusses the NAS' use of the puzzle along with some other autism symbols that are in use today and I thought it was interesting and kind of tied in to this conversation.

http://motherofshrek.blogspot.com/20...-with-old.html

Comment

Originally posted by melissa_h View Post
                          I was reading through my blogroll today; I subscribe to many blogs from parents of children with autism and autistic adults that believe in a variety of different approaches so not trying to make any point in posting this.

So anyhow, I came across this post that discusses the NAS' use of the puzzle along with some other autism symbols that are in use today and I thought it was interesting and kind of tied in to this conversation.

http://motherofshrek.blogspot.com/20...-with-old.html
                          I agree this is good..thanks for sharing Melissa
                          I like the rainbow moebius myself ~ Ethan loves them! He taught me about them!

Comment

That's Alexander's favorite too.

Comment

thanks for posting the link, melissa. it perfectly stated my initial reactions to the puzzle piece. i love the new art.

Comment

Working...
                              X