Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

introducing myself

Hello All,

I'm just going to dive right in.

I have 2 children-- daughter is 7 1/2 and son just turned 4. We unschool.

For years, we've know that both children are "spirited", but in different ways. Now, I've come to believe that our son is more than spirited-- he very likely has a mild case of SPD. We are trying to find an OT to make an evaluation, but I've read The Out-of-Sync Child and I realize that he is easily overwhelmed by the world.

For instance, just this morning, he needed to have the stem of his banana cut off because it dangled against his skin and was too scratchy. The plastic bag of raspberries was too loud and he covered his ears while I poured the berries.

Family members think he is rude because he yells, "EVERYONE STOP TALKING!" when there are other conversations while he is talking. I always squat down and look him in to the eye to say, "I'm listening." but that isn't enough. He can't seem to filter out the noise.

And the list could go on...

He is reaching all developmental milestones. He is engaging and plays with other kids (though the chaos of birthday parties is more than he can tolerate). To most people, he seems "normal", just whiny or bratty. To his mother, he is a little boy who feels things very strongly.

Dear husband hasn't quite caught on with the SPD issues. He's worried that his son will "grow up to be a jerk."

I desperately need the companionship of other families facing the same challenges.

I look forward to getting you know you all.

Comment

Welcome Rosemary Wren. Occupational therapy made a huge difference in both of my children (one was sensory defensive and the other a mix of defensiveness and seeking behaviors). I highly recommend Lucy Jane Miller's The Sensational Child as well as The Out of Sync Child Has Fun. Miller's book really goes into more detail about the sensory processing issues and the "Has Fun" book has some easy-to-implement ideas at home.

Comment

Originally posted by rosemary_wren View Post
        Hello All,

I'm just going to dive right in.

I have 2 children-- daughter is 7 1/2 and son just turned 4. We unschool.

I look forward to getting you know you all.

We unschool too and mine are close in age to yours
        8 and 4
        You in Ohio by chance?

Comment

Hi Traci,

Nope, I'm not in Ohio-- NC.

I'm new to this forum "thing", so I haven't quite figured out the mechanics. Yeasterday, I started a thread about SPD and weaning. Do you have any thoughts on the topic?

Thanks a bunch!
          Tiffany
          rosemary_wren

Comment

Originally posted by rosemary_wren View Post
            Hi Traci,

Nope, I'm not in Ohio-- NC.

I'm new to this forum "thing", so I haven't quite figured out the mechanics. Yeasterday, I started a thread about SPD and weaning. Do you have any thoughts on the topic?

Thanks a bunch!
            Tiffany
            rosemary_wren
            I did here

Comment

Working...
            X