Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attachment Disorder with Attachment Parenting

My 17 yr old daughter was raised using attachment parenting. She was born at home with no drugs. She was healthy and nursed well. So well, in fact, she nursed 6 yrs. I was an at home mom for her first 8 years. We had a family bed. She has two older sisters who are well adjusted, and responsible.

My daughter has had emotional difficulties for most of her life. She is in a mental health facility now after she overdosed on welbutrin. I am at wit's end. I have been there for her, time and again. Available during her babyhood at all times.

But she has the signs of Attachment Disorder. How can that happen? Does anyone else have experience with this?

I'm afraid I don't have any experience, but s . Your post kind of reads like "I did everything for her as a baby and now she's a maladjusted adult". What other issues were there in between those two stages?

Comment

It sounds like you did everything right and everything you possibly could for her. It is NOT your fault that she is struggling, mama. Mental health issues strike people in the same way that physical health issues strike people. There doesn't have to be a person or a thing to blame. People who have never smoked or been around smoke still get lung cancer. Your daughter is lucky to have you as her mom. All that you have done for her has probably helped her to be a lot more mentally stable than she may have been otherwise. Mental health issues can look a lot like attachment disorders, when they are not. Don't beat yourself up. Try to educate yourself as much as you can on whatever her diagnosis is. Are you familiar with NAMI? Check out www.nami.org if you have time...it is the National Alliance on Mental Illness and you should be able to get some support. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
      X