X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Sears' new Autism Book

Get a sneak peek into the latest addition to the Sears Parenting Library, written by Dr. Robert Sears -- The Autism Book: What Every Parent Needs to Know about Early Detection, Treatment, Recovery, and Prevention. Check out the interview on The Attached Family online magazine at http://theattachedfamily.com/membersonly/?p=2488. Login information is available in the Fall/Winter discipline issue of The Attached Family magazine or in the Members-only section of the Forum.

Here's an excerpt from the interview:

Q: What led you to write your book, and how do you hope for your book to benefit families?

DR. SEARS: Treating autism requires a lot of time educating parents. So, I thought I’d throw everything I know into a book so my own patients could read everything I want them to know. But, I also love reaching out to families everywhere with information I feel is important. With the continually increasing rates of autism – and make no mistake, there is definitely an alarming increase, despite the denials you see in the media – early detection and early intervention are becoming more and more critical. The sooner a baby or toddler or child is identified as being on the autism spectrum, and the sooner intervention begins, the better the chance of a full – or nearly full – developmental recovery.

Physicians used to think, and I am admittedly guilty of this, that it didn’t matter what age a child was diagnosed, because there wasn’t much we could do about it. Autism was autism, and there was no hope for treatment or recovery. Now that we know the complete opposite is true, physicians and parents need to have the tools to detect autism at the earliest possible age so life-changing treatment can begin.

But with the various “alternative” medical treatments out there, I wanted to give parents a science-based look at what integrative and complimentary treatments could help there child, along with mainstream treatments. So, I put it all together for parents everywhere to be able to read. There are some treatments that require a doctor’s guidance, but there are so many treatments that parents can do on their own without a doctor’s help and I wanted to put such tools into parents’ hands.
    More...
Working...
X