X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An AP Approach to Autism

Melissa Hincha-Ownby, editor of the API Speaks blog, writes about an AP-friendly therapy she found for her daughter for The Attached Family online magazine at http://theattachedfamily.com/members...2496#more-2496. Login information is available in the Fall/Winter discipline issue of The Attached Family print magazine or in the Members-only section of the Forum.

An excerpt:

The more I read, the more I began to think that this was something I wanted to use to help my daughter. Instead of sitting my daughter at a table and making her respond in a typically appropriate way to a prompt, or sitting at that table until she did what was expected of her, I got down on her level and used her interests to work with her.

Floortime really supports the need to follow the child’s lead. If she wanted to line up cars, then I’d get down there and line up cars with her, all the while talking about the cars that we were lining up. Every now and then, I’d take a car and use it to drive around the other cars and then line it back up. The lines were what she wanted to do, but the drive that the car took broadened my daughter’s experience with the cars.
Working...
X