X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Part Time Child Care

I am pretty new to the forum so please forgive me if I'm duplicating an earlier post. I am a FTM of an almost four month old son. After much soul-searching and discussion with DH I went back to work this week. We looked around for our best child care option and found a really great day care center nearby. It's an independent center that had a very low child-caregiver ratio (2 to 1) and we were promised consistency of care (our child would have a single person, every day, as his primary cargiver).

Well, of course, it was too good to be true. They upped the ratio to 3:1 and the "one caregiver" is only with him maybe 5 of the 8 hours he's there some days. I go to his daycare twice a day to nurse him and check in frequently, as does DH (not to nurse, obviously) and we've both had mixed feelings about what we've found walking in.

So, I'm going to drastically cut my hours (and pay) at work and stay home with the baby more. This brings up a challenge, however: How do we handle another change for such a little one, and how do we provide some sort of consistency with a part-time schedule. Also, I live in a large city and part time infant care is VERY tough to find.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Have you asked a mommy freind who stays home? Asked for references on a local AP group?
    I agree with having consistancy in childcare! How flexible are your hours? Local college early childcare ed major...call dept head and ask....
    Think outside the box a bit but dot your I's and cross yout T's!

Comment

What job do you do? I'd suggest getting a baby wrap and taking him with you.

Comment

Have you thought of an au-pair? they can be just the same price or less than daycare and it's 1 on 1.

Comment

Originally posted by itsallthereforyou View Post
          What job do you do? I'd suggest getting a baby wrap and taking him with you.
          I'm an attorney and babywearing at the office is not an option.

I'm so hesitant to hire someone I don't know, but I guess I have no choice.

Comment

Originally posted by CBMom01 View Post

An au pair is so different to a normal daycare set up, I'd explore it, it's cheaper and 1 on 1. Your welcome to ask me any questions via PM too. I hope that idea helps

Comment

Originally posted by CBMom01 View Post

Is it because it would look unprofessional to clients?

If so I'd probably try to put off some aspects of that work for awhile; if you really want to go back to work now, I'd hire a personal nanny and put nanny cams in your home. Tell her that they're there, of course... I'd even put it in your request for applications to discourage the wrong kind of person from applying. Lots of happy, loving young women are in need of a job right now.

You can put your breast milk into a bottle for him, and set up a private live Internet feed so you can always check up on him.

Comment

When and if you go back to work full time, you owe it to yourself to start cultivating a relationship with someone so you can decide if you are comfortable with them. If it is a local woman you could ask them to come over and play with your child while you are there and check all references. There can be a gradual process to finding someone so they are not 'strangers' anymore when you do give them your full trust. I was a nanny once and they found me through an agency..... I think it was a hard adjustment for them because the family of 4 had the same nanny for over 10 yrs before I showed up. Observe your child with them and make sure they know how much you will check up on her and the child. Look around!

Comment

Working...
                X