X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traveling for work?

Hi everyone, I've been an AP member for a while but just joined the forums. I travel for work -- normally 1 week at a time -- and my husband takes care of our 2.5 year old daughter by himself. She is in day care, which she loves, and we have a friend of the family come over for a few hours on the weekend to help him out as well.

I've been away 5 times (a week each) in the past year. It's been getting a lot harder because she is getting a lot more upset.

I was wondering if anyone else had experience with this or knew of any resources I could go to. My husband is a full partner in raising our daughter, and she loves him dearly. But of course, she also wants her mom.

The easy solution is to stop traveling. However, it's the nature of my job (which I love and want to continue for the rest of my life). Another option is to bring the family with me. I have a 2-3 week trip coming up later this year, and even though it will be super expensive, we are going to try to do it.

Any other ideas or thoughts?

Thanks!

I have to travel internationally for my job and recently took a 3 week trip to Bangladesh. At the time, my son was about 10 months old - my husband (who is a full partner, like yours) and I decided that it would be best if we all went. It was expensive, but we did a cost benefit analysis (savings on child care, food, general expenses) and it came out to be about a wash. It was tough because obviously I wasn't as focused on work as I might have been otherwise, knowing my son was at the hotel, and of course we had the added time change/sleep issues, but I'm so glad we did it. Even if we had lost money it would have been worth it - neither my husband nor I felt like we were missing something, we got to bond and do something new and exciting as a family, and my son felt happy and safe since we were both there.

In the future, as I'm still nursing him, I'll probably take him alone since my husband has his job to attend to, as well, and if at all possible, we'll all go.

Comment

Working...
    X