Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• am I a danger?

Me and my 7 week old love sleeping together. Up until now we have had no problems. Tonight while sleeping a woke up and found I had rolled to my other side (fell asleep on the left shoulder woke up on the right shoulder). She was tucked safely on the other side exactly how i like her but had not covered her lower half or moved my pillow away to aviod any possible dangers. But now I'm afraid I'm a danger. I don't remember waking up and rolling with her. Has anyone else had this happen? Am I a danger and need to stop co-sleeping with her. I woke her to nurse her and she appears ok. any suggestions on how to prevent this (I was not overly tired and had even gone to be earlier than normal)

Sometimes that happens, make sure that you're following the safe co-sleeping guidelines from the API website.

Families who choose to co-sleep should follow API's Safe Co-sleeping Guidelines:
    • Avoid smoking around baby, day or night. Babies, who are around smoke, even if it isn't in the bedroom, are at greater risk of SIDS
    • Never co-sleep when under the influence of alcohol, illegal drugs, or prescription or over the counter medications that cause drowsiness
    • Always place baby to sleep on her back
    • Baby should sleep next to mother, rather than between mother and father
    • Use a large bed with a mattress that fits snugly against the rail or is flush up against a wall.
    • Choose a firm mattress free of fluffy bedding and stuffed animals
    • Use safety measures such as side rails, bed extenders and safe placement of the family bed. Fill in any crevice with a rolled-up baby blanket or towel
    • Adjust baby's clothing based on her sleeping arrangements. A baby sleeping alone in a crib needs warmer pajamas than a child who co-sleeps and thus gets warmth from her parents. Overheating can be dangerous to infants
    • Never leave a baby unattended in an adult bed
    • Never place a baby on a couch, bean bag chair or waterbed to sleep
    • Do not allow baby-sitters or older siblings to sleep with baby

Comment

Working...
    X