Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Co Sleeping 2nd time around

Might be silly, but is it easier or harder?

I'm so use to having a toddler next to me, knowing he is fine and I can turn over and what have you. Is it easier or harder when you go back to the tiny fragile baby next to you? Will I go back to waking up every noise like I use to?

Silly question I know, but in theory I'm sure it's fine but curious how it was for others who have actually done it

I'm curious about this too, because I am hoping to be pregnant soon and because I didn't start co-sleeping with ds in on a regular basis till he was about 8 months old. I put him in his boppy in bed with me a couple of times when he was an infant, but I didn't feel completely safe doing that.

I think when I have the next baby, I'll get one of those nest things to put the baby in. I forget what they're called exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by Mama*Pisces View Post
      I'm curious about this too, because I am hoping to be pregnant soon and because I didn't start co-sleeping with ds in on a regular basis till he was about 8 months old. I put him in his boppy in bed with me a couple of times when he was an infant, but I didn't feel completely safe doing that.

I think when I have the next baby, I'll get one of those nest things to put the baby in. I forget what they're called exactly.
      The snuggle nest? I guess it's a good option if your uncomfortable with the baby right next to you, may be bothersome when your nursing at night. There is something called the nursing nest which is another option, we got one but haven't tried it, not sure how good it will be but figured it may be worth a try

Comment

i was nervous about the 2nd, but b/c i was unsure how it would go w/nighttime parenting 2 kiddos. my 1st still needed me a lot at nite and i was worried about my 2nd waking up my 1st. but you know what? it all worked out just fine!

Comment

Its easier in that you feel better, those little misgivings you had before are gone.... Is harder because your firstborn keeps trying to fit in the bed at 4am when he wakes up! I wish I had enough space and arms to hug them both at the same time, and get some sleep! Then for co-sleeping safety- you shouldn't really have two in the bed at the same time, especially next to each other. Of course if you have a king size bed, all the better!
          Last edited by naomifrederickmd; 06-06-2008, 11:07 AM. Reason: added link to Dr. James J. McKenna, Ph.D.

Comment

Originally posted by naomifrederickmd View Post
            Its easier in that you feel better, those little misgivings you had before are gone.... Is harder because your firstborn keeps trying to fit in the bed at 4am when he wakes up! I wish I had enough space and arms to hug them both at the same time, and get some sleep! Then for co-sleeping safety- you shouldn't really have two in the bed at the same time, especially next to each other. Of course if you have a king size bed, all the better!

The baby will go next to me and the side rail thingy and DS will go on my other side with DH next to him, well that is the plan at least. I won't put them together until she is big enough to kick back

Comment

Yeah, that's what we try to do some nights, but then I want to roll over and nurse on the other side and there is no room or the 3yr old is there... So sometimes the big kid will move over to the toddler bed next to my side of the bed OR daddy takes him back to his room and they sleep together.
              Anyway, so much more musical beds then before!!!!
              Congrats on the soon to be new baby! Brace yourself!

Comment

Thank you! DS hasn't his own room so we'll see what happens. I'm going to attempt to nurse from both breasts without flipping, again we'll see how that goes

I may find it harder than DS, can't imagine not snuggling all night. I'm just hoping baby girl can be without mummy for the 15 mins or so to get DS snuggled to sleep

Comment

I have found it to be more difficult the third time around. The difference, for me, is in the child. DD3 has managed to take up half of our king size bed starting at about 6 months. She doesn't like to cuddle so I wait patiently for DD2 to climb in bed and cuddle.

Comment

First of all, we bought a bed to put alongside the kingsize bed we already have, so that we got enough space.
                    Second of all, we got a long, thin cover for a duvet. We roll together the duvet (making it look like hot dog in shape), and put it in the cover. This acts as a soft separating thing between our daughters.
                    My oldest has never awoken from the sounds of out youngest, so we all get a good nights sleep.

Comment

Working...
                    X