Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trouble at sleep time

So I'm having trouble getting my little one to sleep at all hours of the day. I wear her most of the time, however she does enjoy her tummy time and kicking so i put her down a handful of times during the day to experience this and burn up any energy she has. I wait until she starts yawning, rubbing her eyes, or just isn't happy doing anything (as sometimes this comes before the yawning or eye rubbing). Then I wrap her up and pace in the house. Music is a must as it helps her settle and I'm hoping that she'll get use to blocking out noises when she's sleeping (like doing the dishes) But It seems as she's getting older this task is becoming harder and harder and nearly impossible if we're at someone elses house. I love babywearing and don't want to give it up but I'm not sure if it's what's good for her. This weekend I went to MIL house. I spent 21/2 hrs trying to settle her down. I even attempted to nurse her to sleep several times. I went into a dark room, hummed, played music. Everything I could think of but she refused to go to sleep. I'm constantly getting comments like "Your creating a high needs baby. Because she will sleep for no one else", "You should be able to eat your supper instead of having to rock her to sleep, this is bad for your baby". We ended up leaving because my lo eyes were swollen from rubbing them so much but she refused to give up to sleep. By the time we got her home she was over tired and took another nursing sessions and hr of pacing before she rested her head for 20 min. When she woke up i nursed her and we went to the adult bed where it took me another 1/2 hr to get her to sleep. Once she was there the rest of the night went fine. Is this abnormal??? Or is it just because she's so curious? Any suggestions on how I can help her settle faster to bed (wrap/bed, at home or out somewhere)? Or is this just a matter of it being a stage?? Some nights she screams and arches her back when she's in my arms to go to bed. I lay her on the bed beside me and she'll calm but will not go compleatly to sleep once she a very drowsy I'll bring her back in my arms and she'll go out like a light. Sorry I needed to vent and you mama's are the only other ap individuals I know. Thank you for all the wonderful support you've given me!

Almost 5m old? Maybe you are trying to hard to get her to sleep? My babies would be more alert if I had that frazzled "you must go to sleep" energy. If I was in your situation I might of just worn her around untill she just fell asleep or took a walk to lull her asleep. I make a more aggressive attempt to help the babies down if they are crying and plum exhausted. I have been in your shoes before so I do understand! At my MIL's I get the constant "Why don't you just go put him in the crib" comments....
    'sigh'

Comment

well it's good to know i'm not the only one who has to walk there babe to sleep. My big fear is having a 4 yr old i have to pace to sleep every night. at what age were you able to stop to stop doing that?? (as i stand here rocking my lo to sleep after 2 hrs of other attenps)

Comment

We stopped doing it (regularly) at 6 mo! So maybe it is fading now! Hang in there!

Comment

what about NOT trying to get her to sleep. i'm thinking if it's taking 2 hours, then she's not really tired. my co-leader gives great advice, if you do something for 30 minutes, stop, try something else. try to wait until she's positively tired before entering the "i'm going to try to help you sleep" mode.

Comment

Iknow i'm not suppose to schedual my dd and it's imprortant to follow her cues. However this is why i'm trying to encourage her to go to sleep regularly. She throws up an awful lot and the dr. suggested that I give her smaller more frequent meals which is hard as a breastfeeding mom. If i encourage her to eat at the two hour mark she eats less and more frequently automatically. If I nurse her, let her play for an hour, then rock her to sleep she automatically feeds at the two hour mark or so. If I follow her cues and wait she would never go to sleep. if i let her stay awake and offer her the breast at two hr mark she becomes angry and starts biting, she'll be quite obviously tired and i can rock her to sleep with a 15 min fight (basically wearing her down in the wrap). If i let her continue to stay up and offer her the breast at 3 hr mark she will bite and become angry (basically she will not eat when she's tired), but will go to sleep alot easier. However because she's hungry she will only go to sleep for about 20min and than wake up screaming demanded to be fed. So i'm not sure what to do, continue encouraging her to go to sleep at the 1 hr mark or try and follow her cues.

Comment

Originally posted by PaxMamma View Post
              what about NOT trying to get her to sleep. i'm thinking if it's taking 2 hours, then she's not really tired. my co-leader gives great advice, if you do something for 30 minutes, stop, try something else. try to wait until she's positively tired before entering the "i'm going to try to help you sleep" mode.
              Ha ha -- I was going to suggest something similar! My children are really quite poor sleepers -- and I was feeling like a failure for 'not' getting them to sleep. So I decided to flip things -- I tried to keep them awake -- and then when they fell asleep, even though I had 'failed' at keeping them awake, I had a sleeping baby -- so it was a win win...

I think these little mind tricks work better on very tired mommies!!

And our stress about the lack of sleep does affect them.

Good luck!

Rachel

Comment

I just wanted to share something I was posting about in the special needs area you can see it here: http://www.attachmentparenting.org/f...4642#post14642

I was doing everything I could possibly think of and it was only getting worse- my story is/was much like yours!

I made a weighted blanket though yesterday and last night and all day today I have had a totally different baby!

Check out my other thread!!

Comment

Working...
                X