Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiggle Monster

My lo and I have been co-sleeping since she was born. Usually she only starts to wiggle when she wants to nurse (she sleeps in my arms so I feel it pretty quickly). But latley she's started wiggling an awful lot. I'll offer her the breast sometimes it's not what she wants and immediatly starts using me as a soother, sometimes she continues to wiggle and i have to get up out of bed to rock her to sleep. Is this just a phase (she's 4.5 mos old)? My family (who don't really get co-sleeping) are telling me maybe she doesn't want to be in my bed any more, so i've tried setting her beside me out of my arms but she continues to wiggle. Another mom suggests that since at her 4 o'clock change she's not very wet she's holding her bladder and I should Potty her. Any suggestions?

my oldest is the squirmiest kid. we are still quite sure that, at age 5, he'll never be in a mattress that isn't directly on the floor. i think some kids are just more prone to thrashing about.

Comment

My daughter does the same thing. She's 7 weeks 3 days and co-sleeps with us too. She does it around 6:00 AM and wiggles and wiggles. Sometimes I think it's because we make each other hot (she sleeps on my chest). My oldest used to wiggle a lot too, and she still wiggles in her sleep constantly and she's 5 1/2. I'm just accepting the fact that I'll be waking up at 6:00 every morning until she gets her own room.

Comment

My 6 mo old, Twila wiggles a lot too. While she's plays, at the breast, in her car seat and yes sometimes in bed. She recently began wiggling and sometimes whining in her sleep yet refuses the breast and soothie. When this happens I just sit up in bed and rock her back down. She never really wakes up all the way. My assumption is that she's just experiencing discomfort for some reason. Sometimes I swear she acts as if she's having a bad dream. Do babies have bad dreams? This is our first. Anyway, I just started reading and posting on this forum but I quickly gathered that I am not the only one who hasn't had REM sleep in six months and I unfortunatly may not get any until Twila is ready for her own bed. I figure hey, I made it through 5 yrs of college without sleep what's another 2.

Originally posted by smurfsammy View Post
        Is this just a phase (she's 4.5 mos old)? My family (who don't really get co-sleeping) are telling me maybe she doesn't want to be in my bed any more, so i've tried setting her beside me out of my arms but she continues to wiggle. Another mom suggests that since at her 4 o'clock change she's not very wet she's holding her bladder and I should Potty her. Any suggestions?
        I would shy away from taking co-sleeping advice from people who did not, do not or do not support co-sleeping. Trust your own instincts, your family may mean well but only you know your baby well enough to figure out a solution. I'm really not sure that an infant that young can even hold their bladder, let alone how to potty one.

There is no substitute for your own intuition. Trust that your baby does belong in bed with you, Baby Matters is a great book that looks at the biochemical/physical reasons why a baby needs to sleep next to her mother. One thing that confirmed it for me was that in this book (which had over thirty pages worth of scientific references) the author says that a baby's heart rate and breathing are regulated by being in contact with their mother's body. So maybe if you're restless in bed the baby will be too. I think that the best way you can help your baby sleep well is to take care of your sleep too. Be sure that you rest during the day when you can and use some relaxation techniques to help wind your own body down to bed. That way when you do have to get up and rock the baby back down you will have the energy to do it and be less frustrated. You can also try white noise or soft music to keep the room soothing, this may help prevent wake ups. I use a soft blue night light so if and when I wake up to pop a boobie in her mouth or rock her back down there is never a need to turn on a light or get out of bed.
        One way I recover from a long night of restless baby is to bring her back into bed with some toys after she wakes and gets changed. That way I can still lie down and rest for a little while longer until my body is ready to get up. I now drag this out as long as I can some days because it's precious to spend my morning watching her coo and smile and play. It remind me why I choose AP.

on a side thought, is the baby breathing well? congestion or breathing irritants could be a factor. Have you recently began eating solids? Introduced anything that may affect the baby's sleep?

Comment

i have not really added anything to my diet that I can think of. She has no cold but has been teething on and off. She has learned how to roll from her back to her side and from her side to her back. lol I can tell by watching her throughout the day she is terribly frustrated that she cannot move herself. Lately she has started attempting to lift her head up while laying on her back in a desperate attempt to sit up. She becomes immediatly frustrated and starts crying I wondered if it was her desperation to move that could be affecting her in her sleep as it does throughout the day

Comment

Working...
          X