Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

STILL constant nursing at night, I'm cracking!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STILL constant nursing at night, I'm cracking!

A few weeks ago I cried in here about my baby waking 8 times a night and it's getting worse! Last night he was waking even MORE often, sometimes only after 15 min. of sleep. I am on the verge of going insane! I'm very tempted to try to put him to sleep in his crib to see if that helps, I am out of answers. I've tried the gluten free and dairy free diet but his sleeping got worse instead of better, I just started him on brown rice cereal and hoped that he would sleep longer and it didn't........I don't know what to do. I cannot run on this little of sleep and take care of 4 other children and homeschool. Please help me! I am run down, frustrated and simply confused!

BTW-he's 19 weeks old.

I was (am) having the same problem - I can't offer much advice on making changes but I do have to say that my LO is 21 weeks now and his sleeping got so much worse around the 4 month mark for about 3 weeks. Like you - I was fraying around the edges and needed something to give - well in the last week or so his sleeping has gotten much better. I didn't really change anything - I just started to calm down about it and things started changing on their own.

He's still waking to feed probably every 2 hours or so but he's sleeping so much more sound now in between his waking and isn't keeping my nipple in his mouth constantly - which is nice.

I read about sleep regressions around the 4-5 month mark and figured that's what was going on - from what I read it usually lasts 10-14 days - so I began counting when it got really bad (that kept me a little sane) and before I got to 10 - I had a really good night where he slept 4 hours straight!!! and than things started getting better from there.

So although I don't have any advice - I hope for you things will get better from here on out!!

BTW - I should mention that I can now see two little white spots where teeth should be coming on the top - maybe check your LO for teeth!!!

Comment

Thank you for your reply, I feel like the only one with a child like this although that is not true LOL He's never really been a great sleeper so this feels even worse than before! My others slept through the night by 2 months so this is super hard for me to take, KWIM? I really had thought it was because he was ready to eat solids and I personally wasn't ready to start weaning him to solids but he's literally inhaling cereal so I guess he's ready. I don't want him to grow up!

OH, I have been looking for teeth for the past week or so each time I clean his gums; he's got a ton of drool! Nada as of yet but he could still be! So yours is about 2 weeks older then and doing better huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Brenda View Post
        So yours is about 2 weeks older then and doing better huh?
        Well.....better compared to what it was!! We went through a really bad phase for about 2 weeks - DH was ready to put him in his crib to test it out because he was getting NO sleep and had to work, poor guy. I was getting very frustrated and found this forum and posted looking for advice. (I'm sure you'll see it and sense the desperation)

But yes he is doing better - at the time - we were dancing him to sleep for every nap and bedtime and he wouldn't go down for his naps so we had to sit with him while he napped. Sometimes it was taking up to 2 hours to get him down for bed and then he was waking every hour to hour and half to nurse all night - in the wee hours of the morn he was sometimes nursing every 1/2 hour.

The last 5 days or so - he goes out very quickly for naps and I've been putting him in the bed for at least two naps a day - sitting with him for the others - his naps are lasting anywhere from 45 min to an hour and half, longer if I nurse/nap with him. And at bed - he goes out pretty easily - within half an hour and is waking approx every 2 hours.

The biggest difference is how much more sound he is sleeping in between nursing - that's the best part!

Good luck and I really hope things start to change for you - I know what it's like to be at the end of your rope and I only have him to look after!!!! Not 4 others!!!

As for the teeth - I couldn't believe how fast it happened - they are not through the gums yet but I can definitely see they are coming.

Comment

He was doing pretty much the schedule you just mentioned until this past week and THAT was bad enough but now he's worse than he was before. It's a bit disheartening but you already know that. I'm glad your LO is doing better!

Comment

Originally posted by Brenda View Post
            Thank you for your reply, I feel like the only one with a child like this although that is not true LOL He's never really been a great sleeper so this feels even worse than before! My others slept through the night by 2 months so this is super hard for me to take, KWIM? I really had thought it was because he was ready to eat solids and I personally wasn't ready to start weaning him to solids but he's literally inhaling cereal so I guess he's ready. I don't want him to grow up!

OH, I have been looking for teeth for the past week or so each time I clean his gums; he's got a ton of drool! Nada as of yet but he could still be! So yours is about 2 weeks older then and doing better huh?
            it sounds to me like you had really good sleepers before and this one sounds like more of my average kid. I have a nb right now and he is the ONLY kid ive had (he's no. 4) that sleeps for any length of time.

its so hard when you cant take a nap during the day b/c of other kids. is there any way that your dh can give you an hour in the evening to take a nap? even if only 2-3 times per week...let him feed the kids dinner and you go take a nap. this stage wont last long but it seems like forever if you are NEVER getting a break, kwim?

as far as cereal at 2 months, you may want to read some information on early introduction of solids. this is a pretty good website but im sure there are more: http://www.homemade-baby-food-recipe...rst-foods.html and http://www.babyandkidallergies.com/i...ing_solids.php.

my major concerns with early introduction of food is the link with allergies and obesity.

good luck. i know sleep deprivation bites. my (almost) 3 year old is still waking some nights (he nightweaned when i got preg. and thought he was going to be un-nightweaned when the milk came back. argh!!!).

Comment

I think you misunderstood me, my other kids slept at 2 months, my new little man is 1 week shy of 5 months and is grabbing my food as I eat LOL I tried cereal and he's inhaling it like there is no tomorrow! LOL I also have concerns with food allergies as we have allergies in our family and I really wasn't going to feed him cereal until he was 6 months so this is earlier than I had planned but he seems so hungry. He wants to eat constantly during the day and night, at least with the cereal he's not nursing so often during the day and that eases a bit of stress off of me then.

As for napping, I've left that time for my DH to use as he's up at 4am to get to work and I need him to help me in the evenings to get the other kids to bed and if he doesn't get that quick nap before dinner, he's useless, KWIM? I'm stuck.

Comment

Hi,

Sleep challenges are so tough. Everything seems a bit darker and harder when sleep is scarce. We have 4 kids, expecting a 5th and also homeschool. My 2.5 yr old has NEVER slept through the night and often stays awake for hours on end during the night. There have been times I thought I would literally crack. I never have. It is hare. During these times I pull waaaaayyyy back. I ask DH for more help, we eat simple meals, I try hard not to fret about piling messes (not easy), I go to the park a lot, I talk to a friend who also had a sleepless child and totally understands the intense challenge and feelings of craziness, I explain to my older children how much I wish things were different but mom needs things to be smooth because I am tried. They understand and I try to abuse the situation. I try to give more as soon as I can. I ask for help from those I trust. I try to remember that it will pass and that things will change and hopefully get better. I try to walk and get fresh air alone.

I hope to get back with more--trying for a nap now (HAH!!!!)

Nancy

Comment

Oh gosh, to have a walk or a quick trip to a park! Neither are obtainable with high energy children (not quiet) and the park being rather far from us. I do all of our cooking from home and from scratch as it's simply healthier and cheaper. Our budget cannot handle quick meals so I am bound to making things from the bottom, including our bread and cookies. With 5 children, 1 in cloth diapers I have many loads of laundry to do and with 4 children that I homeschool there simply isn't time to let things go. DH's job is very stressful so I don't dare ask him for more stressing help at home, I feel like nothing can give and I am going crazy!

Comment

just thinking out loud... I remember my daughter having these stages of waking up every 15 minutes when she was younger... besides the many reasons mentioned above, my daughter wakes more frequently if she didn't eat well at dinnertime...

I also remember that my daughter used to wake up frequently when she was uncomfortable, too cold/hot... I live in a very HOT island and we use air conditioner to cool the room at night. When she was that age (and I had no idea what I was doing) I use to put very warm clothe on her to sleep with socks and all and then realized she was waking up because she was very uncomfortable..., can't stand socks!! she likes to sleep almost naked and then snuggle to get warm.... so maybe check if he is uncomfortable?

Comment

Working...
                    X