X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toddler nap/quiet time questions

My daughter, age 2 1/2, sleeps in her own bed (always has more or less, although we never did cry-it-out), and does great at night but all of a sudden has stopped sleeping at naptime. We have also had behavioral struggles with independence. I am struggling to figure out how to work with her rather than try to control her but it is not an easy process! Anyway, I don't know what is going on with naptime- whether she's done with it or just enjoying the new discovery that she can stay awake if she wants to. I am trying to keep her in her room for quiet time, which went okay last week, but now it is getting harder and harder. When she was younger I used to lay down with her when she went through phases where she didn't want to fall asleep on her own, and then leave when she was asleep, but now she won't even sleep if I am there. This week she seems sad and lonely about me leaving, but if I stay there is no rest for anyone because she is constantly moving and talking. I really need a little time to myself. She is so energetic and personable that she constantly wants to interact with me all day. If I don't get that time to myself I don't know what to do! Does anyone have any suggestions or experiences that you can share? How do other people do quiet time with older toddlers and preschoolers? How do you get any time to yourself? I could understand when she was a newborn that I had to deal with being with her every second, but that passes within months. Also, she is only 2 1/2- shouldn't she still be napping? What do I do about helping her to sleep if she still needs it? How do I know if she still needs it?

I wonder what would happen if you just changed locations.

When both my kids were that age, quiet time moved to the living room couch. I turned on calming music, and firmly established the rules for quiet time - be quiet, be still, close your eyes. Every day before quiet time, we said those three rules.

"What are the rules for quiet time?"

Then the toddler and I would lay down on the couch together. If the rules were followed, they couldn't help falling asleep. (I sometimes got a little nap in, too!) Then I would get up and leave the child on the couch, and quietly do what I needed to do.

For my daughter particularly, she sometimes insisted she didn't need to sleep. So I'd tell her that she didn't have to sleep, but how about she just pretends to sleep. So she'd close her eyes, blah blah blah, and fall asleep.

Comment

My son stopped napping at 2 1/2.
      Its very upsetting to the Momma (I didn't want to accept that was happening for many months for I felt I needed that time) But he was done napping everyday. I had tried really pushing the issue, but a power stuggle does not make a child require a daily nap.
      He sleeps 12 hours at night so I feel gets pleantly of sleep.
      Some kids are still taking a good 2 hour nap at 4. Not everyone has the same sleep requirements.

Comment

Working...
      X