Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone know a baby who co-sleeps or bedshares who is a good sleeper?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by McKatie View Post
    My 10mo son still wakes 4-5 times per night no matter WHAT we do! It's hard to shake the feeling that I must be doing something wrong, or that perhaps I'm doing a disservice to my son by not forcing him to find ways to self-soothe (which he CAN do, but doesn't always).

Reading this thread is good for morale- by nature, some babies are "easy" sleepers and some are "difficult" sleepers.

Whew.

At 10 months my daughter too was a horrible sleeper... Hang in there! I think it will get better in time. I too questioned whether I was doing my daughter a disservice (there's so much conflicting advice out there) but then I thought maybe my daughters neediness just proved how badly she needed to be parented in this way. Some kids will be easy kids no matter how you parent them, but I think it's the tough cases that respond the best to attachment parenting in the long run.

Comment

My son sleeps better with us

My son is 6.5 months old. For the first 5.5 months, he co-slept next to our bed. Every time he woke up to eat, I had to fully sit up, pick him up, put him on the boppy, then lay him back down after, not an easy feat with a heavy boy. I was afraid to let him sleep in the bed because of SIDS advice from First Candle. Around 5.5 months I relented and put him in the bed. As soon as I did, he started sleeping way longer shifts and even if he woke up to nurse, I hardly noticed. Within a couple weeks, he dropped one of his night feedings, and I just know he was eating out of comfort. Having him in the bed is so much easier for me. Sometimes I'll wake up and he'll already have attached himself! Plus, now that I'm next to him, a bomb could go off and he'll sleep through it. It's not that he won't react... he will open his eyes or turn his head to a sound, but he will feel my body with his arm or see my face and just go right back to sleep.

McKatie - I'm sorry your little one is more wakeful, but rest assured, it's not because you are doing something to provoke it. You are doing what is healthiest for your child in every way and for all anyone knows, he might not sleep at all if you did it differently.
      Last edited by Mammy; 03-12-2009, 08:48 PM. Reason: Forgot to direct my last comment to McKatie

Comment

Originally posted by Mammy View Post
        My son is 6.5 months old. For the first 5.5 months, he co-slept next to our bed. Every time he woke up to eat, I had to fully sit up, pick him up, put him on the boppy, then lay him back down after, not an easy feat with a heavy boy. I was afraid to let him sleep in the bed because of SIDS advice from First Candle. Around 5.5 months I relented and put him in the bed. As soon as I did, he started sleeping way longer shifts and even if he woke up to nurse, I hardly noticed. Within a couple weeks, he dropped one of his night feedings, and I just know he was eating out of comfort. Having him in the bed is so much easier for me. Sometimes I'll wake up and he'll already have attached himself! Plus, now that I'm next to him, a bomb could go off and he'll sleep through it. It's not that he won't react... he will open his eyes or turn his head to a sound, but he will feel my body with his arm or see my face and just go right back to sleep.

McKatie - I'm sorry your little one is more wakeful, but rest assured, it's not because you are doing something to provoke it. You are doing what is healthiest for your child in every way and for all anyone knows, he might not sleep at all if you did it differently.
        I had the same experience as far as noticing that my daughter slept better and fell back to sleep faster during the night once we brought her fully into our bed and not in the attached bassinet thingy.

Comment

Working...
        X