X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need advice about getting some more sleep

Hello all, I am new to this site. I recently read Nighttime Parenting and was comforted to find the things I have been doing are not as crazy as people make it out to be. I have been reading through the forums and find them helpful too. But I need some help!
    Until 4 months old my DD was in a moses basket, she slept well and she started reducing her night nursing to about 1 or 2 times a night. People told me I needed to get her to sleep in her crib, but I didn't like the idea of CIO so we started sharing our bed and we slept well. Hubby is also fine with it, and sleeps well. But it seems that now that she is 6 mos old, her night wakings/feedings have increased, some nights it feels like every hour she wakes up to nurse. Other nights we all sleep great and she wakes up maybe twice. Is it because she's starting to teethe a little and needs comfort? I find myself to be a lot grumpier the next day on these nights when she sleeps like a newborn (waking up A LOT at night). It makes me want to stop co-sleeping, but on the nights when she sleeps better, i love it.
    I don't know why she has such irregular sleep, and it is wearing me out a little. Any advice? Should I try to put her on the floor? I'm afraid that she knows I'm right there in the bed, which is why she wakes up so often.
    She sleeps long at night, which is helpful, about 11-12 hours, but
    Will she ever sleep through the night? I feel like 6 months have gone by so quickly, but when I think about having her waking me up every couple hours for the next year, I'm not sure I "signed up" for that. I want to do what I know is good for her, but to maintain my sanity too.
    Thanks so much!

Hi. What you are going through is totally normal for your daughters age. I am afraid that I dont have any wonderful tips as I felt just the way you do when my LO was that age. One thing that made a difference for us we to sidecar his crib so that he was in his own space. A lot of his night wakings were due to feeling me move around and it seemed to be like "well, while your awake!" It should settle down a bit over the next few months... in the mean time try and grab some shut eye during the day. We worked out that if I did the waking up during the night then DH could get up with him in the mornings and I could grab another hour or two before he had to go to work. Look at your schedule and see if anything can be fiddled with. Short of night weaning or CC/CIO I am afraid that night wakings are a part of BF at night. The constant waking more often than not has to do with teething or separation anxiety.

GL, I know its hard. It is worth it though! At now 17 months we are starting to move DS into his own room as we have another LO on the way. He now sleeps through the night and because he is so confident at night the move is going wonderfully smoothly. We are taking our time and just doing baby steps so as not to upset the applecart, but he has not had any issues with the changes so far. He has gone from co-sleeping to being in a cot on the other side of the room within a week!!!! No crying or upset baby, just very smooth and easy.... I just wanted to let you know that there is an end in site, and all of your hard work will pay off in the end. When we were in the middle of sleepless nights and exhaustion the thought that he would ever be at the stage he is in now was laughable.

Hang in there! Just like with every other part of parenting - its just a stage.

Comment

The thing I remember about that age is that they are in a constant state of change. Who knows how she will be sleeping even next week!?!
      My son is 3yo and is still not a great sleeper(he's in bed with me) - he wakes very frequently, but now he doesn't really need me to go back to sleep. I'm glad he feels that sleep is a safe thing to do, which he probably wouldn't if he were in his own room right now. Some day we will be ready to move him - even at 3 they change very frequently, but now he can tell me about it.
      Hang in there! This is not your life-long reality!

Comment

many thanks!

to both of you, for your encouraging words. It is comforting to know that night waking isn't going to be FOREVER and that it's worth it to have secure sleepers in the end of it. A couple nights ago my daughter even got a better night's sleep than my husband or I!

Thanks again, I appreciate just other moms [virtually] patting me on the back to say keep on truckin' !

Comment

Working...
        X