Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• parenting to sleep - needing change

I'm just looking for some advice on how to change our bedtime/naptime routine. From the beginning - DS will only sleep when we are dancing/bouncing/walking around the room with him (usually to music) for naps and bedtime. He will sleep in the wrap also.

Almost 11 months and 21 lbs later, coupled with all-night nursing - I'm getting very tired. I could handle either the bouncing to sleep or the all night nursing but both are making me exhausted and frustrated.

Last night it took me almost 2 hours to get him to sleep and at one point I yelled at him. Of course he started crying and then I started crying and well it's time for some change. He's only 10 and 1/2 months - it's so not his fault and I 'm sure he's as frustrated as me that he couldn't sleep. That attitude is unacceptable on my part. I remember reading in a Dr. Sears book that I have - if you resent it - change it. Well I think it's time to make a change, as I'm starting to not look forward to bedtime - I'm just not sure how.

I would like to change the way we put him to sleep - even if that means rocking chair instead (at least I would be sitting).

I have tried in the past - but gave up easily because he did not take to the change so great and it involved quite a bit of crying.

Any suggestions on how I can make a gradual change to ease him into something different?

Thanks so much!

You might check out "No Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley......lots of suggestions in there and everything is gradual.....there is an infant and a toddler version but the same type of ideas. Good Luck!!

Comment

if it's taking him 2 hours to fall asleep, are you sure he's tired? is your partner able to get him to sleep any better? my dh could always get my boys to sleep way faster than i could. something about his deep singing voice and the way he held them tightly, they'd go out so fast!

sometimes a break in routine is all that's needed. i remember riding mine around in a car a couple times just to break a cycle. they'd fall asleep and then after a couple nites, we could intro something new.

don't give up! he'll soon learn a way that is better for everyone!

Comment

The 2 hours to sleep is unusual - but it is taking him longer these days - used to be about 15 mins, which was great! But lately it's been 1/2 hour to 45 min. He's definitely tired - laying his head down on the floor, getting clumsy, crawls up to me and lays his head on my chest/shoulder.

I have read No Cry numerous times - there's ideas in there for getting him down to falling asleep on his own - maybe I should read again and try applying them again.

And the car suggestion would probably work great - if he actually slept in the car - he HATES the car.

DH does get him to sleep - we take turns or do it in shifts - but he works shift work so is not always here.

Comment

Your child sounds just like our 7 month old... and here I was thinking/hoping he'd outgrow that any second now! We dramatically cut down on the initial falling-to-sleep time by catching him earlier... if we wait until he's doing some of those more blatant "I'm tired" signals then it's too late and we're in for the 2-3 hour event. You might try starting his bedtime routine 30 minutes earlier (or more) and see if that helps. For us the routine is also a very important... but if we see him escalating to the more "in your face" tired signals then we skip straight to dimming the lights and nursing so he doesn't catch a second wind. If we're in the midst of one of those difficult, longer sessions then I will literally jog in place while I hold him in the cradle position until he looks drowsy, then I'll get in the glider to nurse and rock (anything to sit!). Hang in there and good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by hilladub View Post
            If we're in the midst of one of those difficult, longer sessions then I will literally jog in place while I hold him in the cradle position until he looks drowsy, then I'll get in the glider to nurse and rock (anything to sit!). Hang in there and good luck!
            Well that is something I haven't tried!!! :-)

I have got on my treadmill though and just walked with him in my arms or in the wrap.

Jogging in place - I may have to try that on that tough nights!! I did read on here somewhere that someone uses an exercise ball to bounce in place - that might work too on the difficult nights.

I will say that I too - 4-5 months ago thought he would outgrow it anytime and yet here we are at 11 months and nothing has changed..... hopefully it's different for you!

Comment

How's the sleeping going? Have you implemented any changes or made any adjustments that seem promising?

Comment

Originally posted by hilladub View Post
                How's the sleeping going? Have you implemented any changes or made any adjustments that seem promising?
                I have not made any changes as of yet - he has been teething very badly and our lives have been very busy with weddings and breastfeeding training and all sorts of stuff that he has been a little off for the past couple of weeks.

We are going away this weekend for another wedding and then I'm hoping things will settle down for a bit - I think I'm going to start by just trying to lenghten some time between feedings throughout the night by picking him up and walking/rocking him back to sleep. I will try that for a 10 day timeframe and if that doesn't work - I may try Dr. Gordon's method toward mid/end of summer when he's a bit older.

How about you? Still running on spot to sleep? :-)

Comment

Working...
                X