Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teens and Sleep Dep.

MSNBC discusses 2 studies here linking teen sleep deprivation to depression and suicide. i'm interested in anyone's experiences with their teenagers and sleep. what do you do to promote healthy sleep habits in your home?

Well, this is really late, but I've just gained access to the forums after joining almost a year ago!

Our experience has been that keeping regular bedtimes and wake-up times, even throughout the summer and breaks, has allowed our kids to be well-rested. It's a challenge, for sure, and of course we make exceptions for special events and activities, but overall, we have our 12-year-old go to bed at 9 p.m., and our 16-year-old at 9:30 p.m. Sometimes, surprisingly, the 16-year-old is so tired that he goes to bed earlier on his own. Now of course, sometimes he will go to bed but not actually go to sleep. I've seen him reading with a flashlight before, or listening to his ipod in the dark. But we can only do so much, so we usually let him do his thing. He never lasts too long on those.

-Meredith

Comment

Working...
    X