Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Night wakings?

Hi Everyone,

After 2 years of sleep problems, including 6 months of sleeping with us (which actually was great until she started kicking us in the face), we finally have our 2 1/2 year old daughter sleeping in her toddler bed. I am so proud we listened to her cues and waited until she was ready - she hasn't fought it at all and seems to truly enjoy sleeping in her own room. We have also gotten the bedtime routine down from about 2 hours to less than 1 hour.

The only problem left is that she still wakes frequently at night. (sometimes every 2 hours, sometimes only twice a night). Let me describe a typical night and maybe ya'll can offer some insight:

At 8:00 we get jammies on and have a snack. We read books, brush teeth, go potty, and aim to have her in her bed by 8:30 at the latest. I tickle her and sometimes sing until she falls asleep. She is very cooperative 90% of the time, although she has nights that she refuses to settle down. Even then, I am always out of there in under an hour. Usually it is 20 minutes or less. Hubby and I alternate nights. If we leave the room before she is asleep she cries and gets very upset.

The wakings usually start around 11 or 12. Sometimes it is every 2 hours, sometimes she will sleep a 6 or 7 hour stretch. In the mornings starting around 6:00 or 6:30 she might wake every 1/2 hour until getting up around 7:30 or 8:00. One of us goes in when she wakes, sits by the bed, says Lay Down, pats or tickles until she falls back asleep (5 min or less). If I don't touch her she asks for tickles.

Also, she has given up naps despite me doing everything I can think of, if that matters.

Thanks for any advice! I love this site.

Jennifer

what does she communicate to you when she wakes? does she just want reassurance that you're close by? could you sleep in her room or move her bed next to yours? you said in another thread, "everyone should sleep where they sleep best". perhaps this isn't it for her?

Comment

Working...
    X