Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want to reduce night feedings with co sleeping 6 mo.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to reduce night feedings with co sleeping 6 mo.

hello! this is my first post here and i am hoping for some good ideas... i have a six month old daughter who co sleeps in a side car with us. she was in the bed for four months when she transitioned without issues to the sidecar on mom's side of the bed. she was swaddled until two weeks ago when we moved to a sleep sack. she does not stay asleep when her arms are out... she sleeps well on demand during the day (two or three 1/2 hour - 1.5 hour naps) and eats well on demand during the day also. She started solids three weeks ago (homemade stage one foods) and seems to like her meals - two a day so far.
    okay, so, although there have been a few stages when the baby ate twice a night, she typically wakes every 2 hours to nurse. since we have not mastered side-lying i get up to feed her in the chair. she eats, falls asleep right away, and goes back down without fuss. if i do not wake and feed her thought she gets increasingly upset until she is wide awake and crying. how can i happily reduce the number of feedings at night WITHOUT moving her from our room? we all need more sleep!

I personally would not be comfortable reducing night feeds for a six month old. I'd try to master sidelying--it's been our lifesaver.

Comment

I would mostly agree that that seems very young but maybe 1 or 2 feedings could be avoided gently (if there is a lot).
      Here is a good kellymom link on nightweaning http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/weaning-night.html (non-API)
      with some ideas for eliminating other discomforts that may be waking your baby up.
      I like the idea (and have used it myself with good results) that you nurse the baby just before you fall asleep for the night because then you are not woken just for that reason and the baby starts 'ahead'.

Why has laying down and nursing not worked so far? With my first child I was able to sleep through much nursing!
      non-API link- http://www.mother-2-mother.com/tut-layingdown.htm

Tell us more!

Comment

I was SO grateful for nighttime nursing and cosleeping. I think that's what allowed me to continue to have a great nursing relationship with DD, because I worked and pumped during the day.

I learned to nurse side-lying at the advice of a midwifery student, and it was a lifesaver. Most times, I didn't wake when she woke to nurse. It allowed me to be there for her at night when I still needed lots of sleep for work the next day.

Also, I think it is normal for nursing frequency at night to change as things change in the child's life. Teething, for instance, is a cause of more frequent waking and needing soothing from mommy.

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts. The reason I have struggled with side-lying is that a) I produce tons of milk and need to wear pads at all times if I do not want to drench the bed / clothes / baby... so I have found it easier to sit up, remove the pads and such and then let the baby nurse, and b) I am very large chested and found early on that it was difficult for my daughter to latch on from that angle. Now that she is older it sound like it is worth a re-try! Thanks for the encouragement to stay at the night feedings. Sometimes the fatigue gets the best of me!

Comment

He is a link about being well endowed and nursing laying down. (non-API)
            http://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/N...ndowedFAQ.html
            Go to #7 about a quarter of the way down. "Find a Way to Sleep and Nurse"

a LLL link on 'helping large-breasted women'
            http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVMayJun89p35.html
            "Another lying-down nursing technique, cross-over nursing, can also be effective for the large-breasted mother. In this position, the mother lies on her side, places her baby on his side, and nurses from the top breast. She may need to move her bottom breast slightly to one side to position her top breast so the baby can grasp her nipple. She may also need to put her arm under her baby's head to bring him up to her nipple. With cross-over nursing, mother and baby do not need to roll over to nurse from both breasts. While nursing, the mother can stroke her top breast with gentle brush strokes from the chest wall to the nipple to encourage more efficient milk drainage."

I understand how the over-supply could put a damper on your nightime nursing!
            This LLL page has a section on 'Strategies to Slow Down the Rate of Milk Production'
            http://www.llli.org/FAQ/oversupply.html almost half way down
            I can say the one breast technique described on this page did help with my over production.
            " Then feed on one breast for several feedings until that breast is completely soft and comfortable and the other breast starts to feel unbearably full. When you feel unbearably full, switch sides and feed on the second breast until the first breast starts to feel unbearably full"
            I also cut out diary (my second baby is allergic) and that also helped with my over production.
            Just some thoughts!
            Hopefully some of this will be helpful!

Comment

Working...
            X