Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cosleeping Help

Hi,

We have been partially cosleeping our daughter for a while. It wasn't our intention but between colic and bad teething issues and a variety of other things she ends up in our bed somewhere in the middle of the night due to our unwillingness to do CIO when she wakes up looking for us at 2 or 3AM. She goes to sleep at the start of the night with little issue in her crib but while she goes back to bed pretty instantly when we take her into our bed in the morning, she can fight with us for hours if we don't. So she sort of trained us to go this semi-cosleeping route and we're pretty satisfied with it that it works for us (and that it's the only way all 3 of us get a good nights sleep w/o CIO).

The issue is that recently when she gets up in the middle of the night she wants to play for up to 2-3 hours. At first we just tried to ignore her hoping that a little playing with her bear would burn her out, but she eventually resorts to poking us until we pay attention to her. We still refuse to give her any sort of positive playing attention, but it can take quite awhile to get her back to sleep sometimes. Anyone else have this problem?

Our friends who's children crib sleep say their kids play in the crib in the middle of the night sometimes... but when she's smacking us to get our attention for 2 hours it's not really doable for us to let her do it in our bed.

Thanks in advance for any help

Hello,

It sounds like you are really striving to meet your daughter's needs and have found a good balance. That's awesome! I realize that being poked and disturbed for a couple of hours is a challenge though. You didn't mention how old your child is, but I do remember my children also doing this, especially when they were going through a developmental growth spurt. One of them would wake up to practice crawling or to play. I found that if we spent some good time outside and also made sure we played or practiced whatever it was she needed to practice that it really helped her sleep better ( me too!). I can assure you that meeting your child's need for connection with you at night will foster better long-term connection and sleep for all of you. Usually these nighttime awakenings will pass within a couple of weeks and you will be left with some happy memories and funny stories. How are things going for you all now?

Best,
    Kathryn

Comment

Working...
    X