X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naptime suggestions??

Since I've received such great advice on this forum before, I'm hoping to get lucky again!

I am the mum of a 9 mth old son, and will be returning to work PT (mornings) in about 2 mths. He will be going to a home daycare 3 mngs. a week, and my MIL will be watching him in our home the other 2 dys. My question has to do with naptime. My son sleeps on a mattress on the floor, and I lay down and nurse him to sleep for all of his naps. I used to rock him to sleep sometimes, but it would take as long as 30-45 mins, which is fine with my MIL, but not with the other caregiver who will have several other children to watch as well. He does not take a soother, and I am hoping to avoid introducing bottles as a sucking replacement (if possible). Also, he will have to sleep in a playpen at the caregiver's house, as I am not comfortable with having him sleeping on a mattress there (just in case!). I am hoping for some suggestions for how to get him to sleep for someone else when nursing and extensive rocking is not really an option. Any help would be so much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Gosh I wish I had a magic solution, but I just have a couple of thoughts. First: The good thing is that you've got some time to work on the transition. I think it would be most helpful to him if you try to get him used to napping in a way that resembles what his naps will be like at childcare. I know it won't be easy, but since you've got time to work on it, it'll happen gently for him. Second: Just keep in mind that it is also possible that he'll adjust more easily to the transitions in the new environment. Keep working on it at home, knowing that that you'll be building his repertoire for learning new ways to fall asleep. Kids can (and do) learn that there are different expectations/routines in different situations.

Hugs to you! Wish I had more to say - but that is all I can think of. I'll be in the same boat in about 9 mos. when I will probably make the trek back to work.

Comment

Working...
    X