X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8-9 month old frequent waking

My son started to wake every 90 mins at 8 months old. We think it's because his top teeth are coming through. Every time he wakes up, my husband either rocks him back to sleep or I breastfeed him. However, after a month of doing this, I am feeling EXHAUSTED and don't think i can continue to 'sleep' like this any more. I would like my son not to expect to be fed every time he wakes, but whenever i try to get him to go back to sleep using different methods, he grabs at my breast until I give in. I would love to hear of similar experiences and any coping strategies please!!! Thanks.

I say let hubby do it. Pick 1 or 2 times you are willing to nurse him and help him there. Have you tried letting him suck on a warm washcloth or other teethy soothing thing? A cup of water, teething tablets?

Comment

9 mo old - trouble sleeping

We are having the same issue with our9mo old son. Won't sleep more than 90 minutes, and both mom and I are reaching the end of our reserves. Mom has to feed the baby down most times, and I'm developing a back issue picking him up so much. The lack of sleep is starting to affect my ability to work. Any suggestions on other approaches would be much appreciated.

Comment

Benno, are you lifting him in and out of a crib? Where are you picking him up from? What do you do with him afteryou pick him up? Walk, rock, bounce him? Where does your child sleep Etc....? need more info?

Comment

I sympathise COMPLETELY! Well, I thought i'd write to update on what we are doing as it's working really well.

I slept in another room for 3 nights while my husband was on holiday from work and so that our son wouldn't smell milk. Every time our son woke up (and cried) my husband picked him up and rocked/sang him back to sleep. He also offered him water to drink from a cup which he accepted. I rejoined them on the 4th night, again using other methods to soothe him back to sleep other than the breast. There is no way we could have let him cry - regardless of how 'zombified' i felt. We saw improvements each night. Fewer wakings, quicker to settle back to sleep, and last night he slept for 7 hours straight and only woke up twice!! Our son and I have started homeopathic treatment too - so I expect this may have had some affect too. Today he seems 'himself' again - so happy and alert - what a difference it makes! My back has been suffering too from picking him up - he's no lightweight! Hopefully in time our backs will heal as we get more sleep. The last thing i feel like doing when i'm sleep-deprived is sitting up straight and yoga etc!
          Please let me know if you want any more info on what we did. What we are doing has benefitted all 3 of us so far. Good luck

Comment

Great news! That worked with my first son! His daddy is very attentive!

Comment

Slleping issues

Our son sleeps in his crib in a separate room. My wife and I sleep in separate rooms, close enough to go right in (small house, can't fit the crib in the bedroom). When he wakes up crying, I will go in and shush him or lift him out, depending on how agitated he is. I used to bounce him, but when the back is stiff I will try to rock him. If that doesn't work, I will walk him up front (space to actually walk, not just turn around constantly) while quietly singing. If that doesn't calm him down in 5-15 minutes, I will go for the teething gel/tablets and then continue for another 5-15. We have tried tylenol at times (teething), but it doesn't seem consistently effective. By this time, my wife has generally woken up and will come to take him. The general result at that point will be her feeding him to put him down. Sometimes he eats, generally he suckles.
              Please let me know if this is enough info.

Comment

we have had the same issue off and on for 2 months. My DD is going to be 9 months next week. I have noticed it happens before she accomplishes a milestone. We are going through this now where she will only sleep maybe 3 hours in a 24 hour period. I figured out she is trying to walk so yesterday I gave her lots of opportunity to try. We spent all day on the floor with her at the coffee table and me a few feet away. She hasn't gotten the nerve to do it but by the end of the day she was very tired and slept through the night! Maybe your little one is wanting to learn a skill and it is keeping him up at night. Hope you get some sleep soon, it's so hard to be sleep deprived for that long!!

Comment

i didn't even see this thread when i typed up the thread i made this morning...
                  i wish my hubby was less clumsy, i might let him try a few nights alone with the baby.... he does not wake up quickly

Comment

Working...
                  X