Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need LONG: Seeking support & advice for night-time parenting for 8 month old

i am blessed w a beautifully friendly sweet baby girl. she had awful colic --reflux and gas for the 1st 5 months of her life. She rarely slept for more than 1 hr-2 hrs at a time. She is FF, I cannot BF. My husband and I had to share nite-time duty because of the constant waking and fussing so we both did a combo of bassinet/crib and co-sleeping. This was a great way to make sure baby got night-time care and then the person on duty the next day would be rested (cause she didnt nap well either, poor sweetie). When she was 5 months, we tried to have her sleep in the crib on her own. We used a monitor. I think those were the worst nites ever. Every sound of my little one broadcast and she was so far away and so restless. We gave up on that and I took her into the single bed with me near her room. Baby slept for 6 hrs without waking. First time ever. She fussed about for her bottle, but never woke. I fed her ASLEEP. This has been going on for 3 months. I change her diaper and feed her in bed. I am well rested and so is she. But, she is getting really mobile and I am getting worried about this arrangement. Also, I need some balance in my life, and am of two minds about this. First I work FT & the nighttime co-sleeping is good for us, baby has time with mama and I have time to show her my love. However, my husband & I sleep seperately (note: the baby & hubby do not sleep well together, they bother eachother!!! ha ha) As I meet the challenges and joys of being a mama, including many 30 hr stints alone (my hubby works 30 hr shifts) I feel I need some intimacy w my partner, and not really of a sexual nature, but just closeness. I know my baby's needs are paramount but this is where I am now. I am thinking why rock the boat when we are sleeping well? Am I buying into sleep training and silly ideas of infant independence as well in some way? Any feedback wld be appreciated. Our routine is below:

7 pmbath and story
    7.30 pm bottle /bed -baby falls asleep in our bed
    move baby to crib if asleep, she will either wake up in 1 hr or rarely in 3 hrs
    12.30 am 8 oz bottle
    5.30 4 oz bottle
    7.-7.30 am wakes happy

*note: if i am on my own, i sleep w baby in our bed. i had been working on naps in the crib but two teeth and new babysitter has shot this to the heavens!!! so much work to make her feel like it was a nice little nest and now she just wont sleep there at all.

sorry for not getting here earlier, but it seems as though you're answering some of your own questions. your baby will be young and need you at night for such a short time. if your sleep arrangment is working and you are well-rested, could you and your dh find other ways of meeting your intimacy needs? could you two snuggle while baby drifts off? could you leave her once she's asleep to get a few minutes w/him? try to think outside the box. what ways could you creatively meet all of everyone's needs, if not their demands?

Comment

Working...
    X