Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bad back means no more wearing my baby

My back is getting so bad I cannot carry my 24pd 6mth old as much and he is used to being wrapped or slinged to sleep for all naps and nightime we sleep together but I still have to walk him or wear him or he won't go to sleep.
    Help! How do I get him to sleep without walking him? I have a rocking chair but he literally fights to get out of my arms in that. I'm at a total loss. I've had to resort to walking him around the house in the stroller - not how I want to do it as it takes twice as long to get him to sleep and doesn't always work anyway. Any advice?

Are you nursing him? You may want to try laying down to nurse him to sleep. It may take a while for him to get used to it, but this worked for me.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by LLMom View Post
      Are you nursing him? You may want to try laying down to nurse him to sleep. It may take a while for him to get used to it, but this worked for me.

Good luck!
      Yes, I nurse him but if he's not hungry he won't nurse!

Comment

It sounds like slinging really meets his sensory needs, so I'd look for similar ways to meet those needs that don't involve carrying him. Swaddling might help since it provides a similar pressure and snugness. He might also respond to being in a swing. You may be able to borrow one from a friend to try it out and see if he'll like it or hate it.

I don't know your back issues, but a different sort of sling might not hurt as much. Some are specially marketed as being great for mamas with back backs.

It doesn't take babies too long to develop new routines. I think as long as you respond to him lovingly and experiment with various things, you two will probably find a routine that works pretty quickly. I know it's hard when you're frustrated and he's overtired though! Good luck!
        ~Alicia

Comment

I don't know the extent of your back problems, so I apologize if this isn't helpful. I was also going to suggest the possibility of a different carrier. What kind do you use? Do you use front or back carries? A back carry might be easier on your back than a front carry. Also do you walk around while wearing him? If so, maybe wearing him and bouncing on an exercise ball would be easier on your back than walking around.

Good luck,
          Amy

Comment

Working...
          X