X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleeping with a new born

I just gave birth last week to dd2. We're so happy to have her with us. I am co-sleeping with her of course but I'm a little nervous (even after co-sleeping with dd1). When I coslept with dd1 I was able to lay down with her during the day so I was never very tired and often had trouble staying asleep at night. Now with dd2 laying down during the day is not often possible. So at the end of the day I'm tired! Last night I woke up to discovered that I had rolled over with dd2 and put her on the breast (I know I went to sleep on my left side with her in my arms. When I woke up she was suckling on my right breast). I know this is part of the benifit of co-sleeping. Being able to do stuff (like nursing) without compleatly having to wake up. However, the fact that I move her in a half awake state terrifies me. I'm so scared I'll hurt her by accident!

I can't believe I'm this nervous with dd2. I though having already had a child I would be much more calmer. I didn't think about the new challenges that would arise with 2 children that I didn't realize. My question is to parents of more than one child is how do you manage the busy schedual that 2 kids create and still co-sleep safely?

FYI: I have a crib attached to our bed and I've attempted to put dd2 in there on several occasions but she is having none of it. She immediatly wakes up and is only content to be snug against me in my arms. I have the room temp set at about 23 degrees celcius but I find that she still gets cold easy (I also have her in onsies, sleepers and a flanelette blanket when putting her in the crib to try and ensure that she is warm).

Comments from the Facebook page:

Comment 1
    we used this awesome product called a snuggle nest in our bed.....it allowed us to not roll over and be cognizant of our daughter in the bed b/c 3 of the sides are hard/formed (but cushioned on the inside for the baby) so you hit it when you roll.

Comment 2
    ^ I love the idea of those. Never had one and am done having babies lol but if I had another I would get one! I always just kept my babies in a bassinet/pack n play right against my side of the bed for easy access and monitoring. I don't understand, personally, how anyone can just throw their newborn into a big cold crib in a room alone. I cherished listening to my babies next to me at night!

Comment 3
    We also used the snuggle nest. Our daughter had severe acid reflux, and the snuggle nest had the added benefit of being able to be propped up(under the matress) with a wedge. Also, ours had little vents on the sides, so if I pressed up against that, she could smell me and feel me and didn't object the way she did in a bassinet.

Comment 4
    We used the snuggle nest with my first son and it did help his need to be in a slightly raised position and helped us not to worry as much. However, with our newborn, we have tried to put him in the snuggle nest but he won't have any of it. My first also slept in the Amby hammock but my second has not. Now that he is almost 8 weeks old and about 14 lbs, I feel less worried than in the earlier weeks. It's amazing how different each baby is from another and getting to know them is so much fun
    I had some fears during this pregnancy that really threw me off. I remember thinking I've done this before and it was fine, why am I not as confident this time.

Comment 5
    I understand your worries but I think you should trust yourself a bit more. You're not a first time cosleeperso you're probably a pro now at moving your dd2 at night. Has she woken upset which made you wake up yet? I think as long as there are no drugs or alcohol involved and you're practicing safe sleep in you're adult bed you can relax. The snuggle nest sounds great too tho and may give you the extra assurance you need.

Comment 6
    when i put the baby next to me i put him at a bit of an angle and put his leg over my leg so he cant roll over toward my body. (i hope that makes sense) the fact that you moved the baby and nursed her shows that you were able to tell she was giving hunger signs, which means you are in tune to what she is doing.

Comment 7
    There's a great article on the benefits of co-sleeping. Dr. James McKenna did a study on the sleeping patterns of a sleep sharing mom and baby. "Results from these tests showed that mothers and babies who sleep together are extremely attuned to one another even while asleep.... a mother who sleeps with her infant has been shown to be keenly aware of her child's breathing and temperature throughout the night, and is thus able to quickly respond to any significant changes." This gave me peace of mind when I was first starting out. Also, I was a nervous first time momma, so I opted for my son and I to move to the guest room. That way I could just get up and move to the other side of the bed to switch breasts, always keeping him in the middle. Plus, there was more room. When he was bigger we moved back into bed with my husband.

Here's the link:
    http://www.breastfeeding.com/reading...amily_bed.html

Comment

think these worries tend to be exaggerated

hi there -
      our daughter is 21mos now & has slept with us almost exclusively with no serious issues
      we do not use any specific sleep aids b/c none worked - all she ever wanted was to snuggle close to us
      both of us feel that warnings against babies sleeeping with parents tend to be overblown but each family needs to find what works for them
      we have loved this special time with our kiddo & have found sleeping together to have meant better sleep b/c she nurses more easily & falls back asleep quickly
      since we are wanting to reclaim our bed, we will be trying more diligently to have her sleep in the side-sleeper we got from friends when she was infant & we feel great about that transition as well as our shared time together
      good luck with whatever decision you make! =>
      Last edited by novoleu; 04-05-2011, 05:37 PM. Reason: text incorrect

Comment

Working...
      X