X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bedtime video problem

Hi all - I just found this forum today and I would like to get some input from you all - my daughter is about to turn 2, she sleeps with us and still nurses around the clock (yes she eats solids too!). She has always been a good sleeper in that she seldom wakes during the night and if she does she nurses back to sleep immediately. Until recently our nighttime routine was to have a bath, and then read books until she asked to nurse, then we'd go into the bed and she'd nurse herself to sleep. I don't let her watch commercial TV or DVDs or anything like that, however, I teach one music class to children each week and I had a training video I needed to watch a couple of times. It just wasn't getting done so I decided to watch it with her in the bed at night. She quickly became interested and then obsessed with watching it (its just a video camera focused on a music class, she goes to these classes herself so I guess it was familiar). She begs to watch it every night and cries alot if I try to say no. I would be OK with it if I could limit it to a few minutes each night, but when I try to turn it off she also cries, alot. But if I leave it on it has the same effect as watching the Tonight Show has on me, which is that she'll stay up watching long past the point where she would have fallen asleep if it wasn't on. Because of this sleep is becoming a problem since she wants to stay up later and later each night. On the other hand I just hate having to end our day together in tears every night.
    I hope I have made some sense with my story here, thanks for listening anyway, its helpful just to get it all out, but I would also love to have your input!

We rarely do TV either in our home.

Can you distract her with something else new to incorporate into your nighttime routine?

Like a basket of nighttime books special books only pulled for bedtime and let her get the basket out each night and then have her put it away?

This gives her control over something positive like she is wanting with the TV.

You could also tell her the video broke and fake it with the TV or fake the TV broke and just be sure to not use it so close to bedtime with her or around her at all.

I do not like to end our day in tears either. It bothers me greatly!
    That is why I suggest adding something else you feel comfortable with new into the routine to help her conveniently forget about the video

Engage in Nighttime Parenting

Comment

i'm also wondering if you can return the video? although i think this would be too hard for a toddler to accept, but if it's out of the house, then it's not an option for you, either.

i like traci's idea of implementing a new routine, too. if she likes the dancing, maybe you could have a few minutes of bedtime dancing, then a book or something like that...

Comment

what about a countdown to when you have to "return" the video. And each night, say there are only "x" more nights to watch the video. Also, can you make an activity of getting her alternative activity together? maybe a special trip to select her "nighttime" books?

Comment

Welcome to the forum!

This is an interesting situation! It may be shortlived on its own, of course.

Maybe you could try offering the video during the day instead of at night?

And, as you'll see in many of my recent posts, I'm reading Playful Parenting, so I keep offering recommendations for it! One approach based on this might be to make a game out of it--act like you're really interested in the video too, but exaggerate it so ridiculously much that it's funny. Play through her feelings about the video. It's hard to explain, but if you can do something fun to make it a different game (than just watching the video) and end the tears, it'd be great!

Good luck!

Comment

I am sort of having the same problem. Well, my husband was puting our daughter to sleep for naps when he was off work, and he's a couch potatoe, I am more in the music sort of thing. Anyway, now our daughter will not go to sleep unless the TV is on. Would the above suggestions work with the weaning of the tv? She is 12.5 months old and I am pretty sure the reason why she likes it is because of the colours and the fast movement. But she usually lays on my chest as well.

Comment

Yes we have a little TV problem too! When I was very pregnant with my second son and after my first had stopped taking naps, we used a Quiet Time idea. He watch 1/2 hour show while I rested or ate or some other needed activity. So this continued and grew to one in the morning also-I now had a newborn--so was extra tired-- and it was the middle of winter! So I tried to widdle it down, sometimes he would watch 4 1/2 hour shows a day--it was awful--even he was getting board with it! Now we have No Show Wednesday's that my son accepts (even for adults). Its nicer out too, so some-days we are outside playing that he never even thinks about it. I am thinking it will progress to even less as the pools open! Every one's comments are good for your situation. Maybe you can watch it at another time of day? OR before it is really time for bed, so that it doesn't truely overlap and keep her up. Just try new things, a subtle change, might be all it takes, and you might have a few tears! She is losing a loved activity, For a GOOD reason its true, but it is still a loss and she should be permitted to express it. That little girl loves music class!

Comment

Working...
              X