Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weight loss while BF a very young one (xpost from Amity)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight loss while BF a very young one (xpost from Amity)

So, I feel like I really need to do something about my weight. Before I got pregnant, I was 281. I worked hard during my pregnancy & only gained 10 lbs. I lost some with the birth, but have settled now around 285.

I want to be about 180 ideally, BUT my daughter is only 11 weeks old & she eats a ton! I am starving all the time, but I'm worried about getting any heavier. But at the same time I don't want to put my daughter in jeopardy by shortchanging myself on calories.

My husband gained during or pregnancy too (funny how that happens!) and is now @ 217, the most he's ever weighed.

We've started going for brisk walks in the park w/ our daughter almost every day & are trying to eat well.

I guess I just want to know how to lose weight safely or do I just wait until my daughter isn't nursing as much to really start or how does that work?

Originally posted by Bikil View Post
    my daughter is only 11 weeks old & she eats a ton!
    Hello Bikil, I am looking into the same thing for myself, with my first child I actually gained weight while breastfeeding, but I really did just eat without any regard to ANYTHING! My new boy is 7mo now and is sensitive to dairy, so cutting that out has really helped actually... because that means I don't eat pizza or quesadillas or all sorts of recreational foods. So anyway, I looked over at Kellymom on the subject and she had some guidelines regarding dieting while breastfeeding. 1.Wait until your baby is two months old before dieting 2.Breastfeed without restriction
    3.Eat at least 1500-1800 calories per day 4.Keep weight loss at less than 1.5 pounds per week 5. Decrease the calories gradually 6.Avoid quick-fix solutions ---- Of course go to the page for more descriptions

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mo...tml#guidelines

Please note "According to Breastfeeding and Human Lactation (3rd Edition, Riordan, pp 440), it is noted that fad or rapid weight loss programs should be avoided because fat-soluble environmental contaminants and toxins stored in body fat are released into the milk when caloric intake is severely restricted."

I think exercise is key also---
    Good luck with that, lets compare notes at the end of the summer! I am 215 now

Comment

I noticed that I didn't have to do a lot to lose a good portion of my pregnancy weight. In a way, developing gestational diabetes was a good thing because it taught me to be really conscious of what I was eating. I didn't eat a lot of bad things or anything - my problem was more of I wasn't eating often enough, so I ate large infrequent meals. I learned to space them out during the day, and to balance carb/fat/protein ratios accordingly. While I don't stick to my GDM diet (it resolved itself after delivery), I still follow the principles and make an effort to eat smaller, frequent, balanced portions. And just a little exercise is all it takes (you probably don't even have the energy right now for more than a walk or so, much less the time!). Sometimes adding in those little changes help, too, like parking at the far end of a lot so you have to walk further, taking stairs or walking on escalators rather than letting it do the work for you, and so on. The little things add up to overall wellness and weight loss.

Good luck! Sounds like you've been doing well so far.

Comment

I highly recommend weight watchers for breastfeeding moms. I lost 65 pounds on it before my ds3 was born and an now back on it to lose the pregnancy weight. My milk supply never dipped.....you get plenty of points (10 extra) to compensate for nursing. I have before and after pics posted here if you want to see. You can do it!

Comment

Thank you Mamas! I knew I had to be careful about it but I couldn't remember why! I'll just keep going on the way I have been for now & will try not to worry about it until she's older.

Comment

Naomi,

We should try & keep each other on task for sure!

Comment

Working...
            X