Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weaning & being a WOHM

I've noticed a lot of the weaning threads here haven't included the working monkey wrench, so here goes...

Ohin is now 18m old, and I know he is weaning. He still likes to nurse a couple times during the day when I'm home on weekends or days off. At night before bed he may nurse a couple times by plunking himself in my lap, pulling away my shirt & trying to unhook the nursing cups. He & I still nurse to sleep, but many times through the night I notice the stretches without nursing while asleep grow longer & longer. He will still nurse right around when I'm getting up, and that's about it. I do still pump 2x at work, getting anywhere from 3-5oz total depending where I am in my menstrual cycle.

What have been your experiences, particularly for those of you who have been WOHMs & were pumping?

While I don't want him to be a baby *forever*, I'm really having mixed feelings about him growing up on me like this. (Maybe I'm feeling guilty because I have to work, who knows...)

This has been cross-posted in my local forum, too.

I'd like to know what WOHM is?

Comment

Originally posted by Plumsmum View Post
      I'd like to know what WOHM is?
      Work Outside the Home Mom

Comment

Originally posted by edamame View Post
        While I don't want him to be a baby *forever*, I'm really having mixed feelings about him growing up on me like this. (Maybe I'm feeling guilty because I have to work, who knows...)
        [/I]
        i was only a WOHM when ds1 was 3-9 mos, so i don't have experience w/the older toddler and pumping. but your sentiment above is something that is on every mom's mind, i think. parenting is the process of letting your child go and i REALLY don't like it! particularly w/my oldest, i see him reaching major milestones and coming into his own and it's wonderful and yet, i really despise how fast it is all happening. i wish we could freeze the years forever!

Comment

I am now a part-time WOHM. I worked full time (about 70 hours/week) from 6 weeks until 1 year. Since then, I've started working off and on, sometimes being away for as long as 8 hours, but usually finding time to visit at lunch if I do have a full day to work.

I was at home full-time for a couple of months after I quit my 70 hour/week job and so quit pumping then. When I went back to work, I found that I no longer had to pump--she drinks water when I'm gone and nurses a lot when I return home from work.

I haven't experienced any real signs of weaning yet, besides eating more solids. My 18 month old still nurses quite a bit. She does definitely eat more food when I am away. When I'm with her all day, she'll sometimes nurse a lot and barely eat anything.

I think I shared the experiences you asked about. Anything else?

Oh, and I, too, feel like she is growing up too fast. She just started saying hi and bye-bye instead of just signing it (she signs and says it)! I've really enjoyed her signs, and, although I certainly want her to learn to talk, I'm not ready for her to stop signing! I love the level of communication we have now, with her signs and her short little versions of words! Plus she's really big. Long. Growing up fast

Comment

Originally posted by AwakenedMama View Post
            I'm not ready for her to stop signing!
            maybe she won't! my 5 year old still signs a lot. and he still loves learning new signs. i know, not quite the same as when they're toddlers....

Comment

I've noticed there are quite a few stretches even when I am home where I'm not having to "flash." Sometimes I feel like I have to beg him to nurse! {I almost thought I had a plugged duct Friday morning because I felt a bit lumpy, but it was just a bruised area where he missed my nipple but kept nursing in his sleep!} This weekend was the opposite, though, as we both caught summer colds, so there was a lot of nursing (as well as a lot of boogers!) since Saturday.

Comment

Working...
              X