X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prego and nursing ?'s

Hi all, I'm 6-7 wks. along with my 2nd. My dd is almost 1 and still nursing 3/5 times a day. Is it safe to keep nursing? Will she self wean as I get further along? Anyone with this experience? What can I expect in the coming wks? Thanks for any help!~d.

it is absolutely safe to nurse while pregnant, unless your midwife/ob advises that it is somehow posing a threat. and even then, i'd get a second opinion. she may or may not self-wean. your milk will eventually dry up into your preg. and this is very disturbing for some children and they wean, others take it in stride. i never nursed while preg. but know many moms who have, most of whom had children nurse all the way thru the preg. then went on to tandem. this, however, is a personal choice for your family. you will have to determine your own family's unique needs and how you wish to try to meet them.

Comment

Here's a link to some good info about nursing while pregnant and tandem nursing.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/tandem/index.html

This site is an evidence based site about breastfeeding. It is more indepth than most sites and I can't reccomend it enough.

HTH

Comment

Good for you!!!

My DS was 7 months old when we conceived, and there was NO way we were going to stop nursing! In fact I was really stressed out before the birth, because DS still nurses to sleep every nite. I wondered how on earth I was going to manage!!! But I knew we would.

As DS grew older and my pregnancy progressed, I definitely noticed a change in my milk! There hardly seemed to be any! But he isn't ready to wean (I'm so glad!). My favourite part of the day is when I get to nurse them both at the same time, and they just latch on and stare at each other. It's one of those beautiful moments that I will always remember as a mommy!

So now DS #1 is 17 months and DS #2 is 3 weeks. I'm not sure if this helped you at all, but I wanted to share my experience. It's so worth it! Enjoy and good luck. :-)

Comment

Keep nursing
          My DS is almost 18 months old and I am 28 weeks pregnant and we are still nursing. He has cut back to only a few times a day mostly before nap/bed and in the morning.
          There have been times where it was uncomfortable but they pass. My supply has dropped considerably but there is still enough to satisfy him.
          I have found great advice on kellymom.com and in the book Adventures in Tandem Nursing.

Good Luck & Congrats!

Comment

Breastfeeding is safe while pregnant. I agree with PaxMamma about listening to your health provider and getting a second opinion, if necessary. DD2 nursed up until the 5th month of my pregnancy with DD3. DD2 was 3 1/2 when she stopped nursing and I think quite a bit of it was due to the change in milk and how sensitive my breasts were becoming. I hope you are able to continue nursing DD until you both feel the desire to stop.

Comment

Working...
            X