Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible to better 5 month old's eating habits?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible to better 5 month old's eating habits?

What I mean is - DS has always been a poor feeder - pops on and off constantly - does not eat much during the day - is a all night feeder. He pulls at my shirt, fingers/hands whatever - somewhat of a gymnast while eating. He doesn't feed well in public at all - almost impossible because he's on/off and looking around.

I know I haven't helped because I never did anything to help him bf better from the start but we had such a rough start with bfing (dehydration and hospitilized) that once things were ok - I just let him feed however because I wanted him to be comfortable.

I really thing that his poor latch and the way that he eats contributes to bad gas but I don't know how to "fix" things now that he's older and gets frustrated if I try anything different.

Things I've tried:

The wrap - have not mastered feeding in any carrier yet (tried my Moby wrap upright position and ringsling) cannot get it - mainly because he pops on/off all the time.

I do try to feed him laying down when at home in our bedroom so that there's nothing interesting for him to get occupied with. Sometimes works - sometimes doesn't.

He is gaining weight well and is very content - it's more of a nuisance than anything.

Any advice? Thank you!

Happy Thanksgiving!

I had some definite memories come back as I read your post. My daughter is almost 2 now. I remember when she started to want to switch from side to side while nursing all the time. And how distracted she used to get.

Your son's probably not eating or drinking anything else yet. When my daughter was old enough to take water in a sippy cup or eat, I would offer her something else to eat or drink if she was nursing erratically. I would calmly explain if something was uncomfortable. But, for the most part, if we're at home I let her nurse however she wants. In public, we don't do 'bare-bare' - which is when she likes to have my whole shirt up instead of using the nursing openings. She usually understands this and is happy to comply. I explain to her that I feel embarrassed if someone I don't know sees my breasts, and that I need her help to keep covered up. Seems to have sunken in over all these months. But, really, I try to remember that my most important goal is that we have a great nursing relationship, and I am forever grateful for this, even if a few strangers have seen things I didn't want them to see.

So, anyways, I guess my advice is to see if he is wanting something else - attention in some other way, or (when he's older) something like water - and to calmly explain if you don't like something that he's doing and tell him how you'd prefer he do it (he certainly doesn't know unless you tell him). He'll understand, and, over time, he will gradually adopt the habits you teach.
    Last edited by AwakenedMama; 11-27-2008, 06:53 PM. Reason: clarity

Comment

Originally posted by AwakenedMama View Post
      He'll understand, and, over time, he will gradually adopt the habits you teach.
      That's what I thought - that he would adopt better eating habits with time and age. I do explain to him when he does something I don't like - like when he pinches me!!

Thanks for the tips with the water - he doesn't eat or drink anything yet - well water out of my glass a couple times - he was so curious - and the bath water!!! But nothing really yet - maybe I will try his own cup of water in a few weeks or so and see if that helps.

I recently read too how they may just be thirsty as opposed to hungry and just want to suck for a very short time to quench their thirst too - so maybe when he's on/off on/off - that's all he wanted.

Comment

you're LO may do well w/a nursing necklace, too. maybe he just needs something to do w/his hands while nursing. you could also try a special toy reserved just for nursing time.

Comment

yea it's hard to change a 5month yrolds habits!!

Comment

Originally posted by PaxMamma View Post
            you're LO may do well w/a nursing necklace, too. maybe he just needs something to do w/his hands while nursing. you could also try a special toy reserved just for nursing time.
            LOL! I have tried giving him a toy but he just pulls away and shoves it in his mouth!!!

I've thought about the nursing necklace though - good idea - thanks!

Comment

I'd say try the nursing necklace too. A friend of mine just got one and says she loves it.

Comment

Working...
              X