X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• milk cereal??

what are people's thoughts on giving an infant milk cereal?? keep hearing about it, but feel v.unsure, but my little one is just waking up and feeding all night long these days, 4 mnths old, and sounds so tempting to do at about 5-6 mnths but not really sure if that is really ok - think it is my sleep deprivation talking - thoughts? and also, does anyone have stories of an all night feeder who finally started sleeping more? thanks

Try not to see baby cereal as an answer for night waking. It is certainly not a magic fix! It may seem to work for some some babies but generally may cause other issues.

Here is some links for you to look at:
    First Foods -click for link
    "Keep in mind that the recommendations here are aimed at babies starting solids at around 6 months or later - babies starting solids earlier are much more prone to food allergies."
    Will giving formula or solids at night help baby to sleep better? -click for link
    "Some babies will sleep worse, due to reactions to the formula or solids (tummy ache, etc. are not uncommon), particularly if baby is younger than around 6 months."
    Why Delay Solids? -click for link
    "The following organizations recommend that all babies be exclusively breastfed (no cereal, juice or any other foods) for the first 6 months of life (not the first 4-6 months):

World Health Organization
    UNICEF
    US Department of Health & Human Services
    American Academy of Pediatrics
    American Academy of Family Physicians
    American Dietetic Association
    Australian National Health and Medical Research Council
    Royal Australian College of General Practitioners
    Health Canada "
    "Delaying solids gives baby's digestive system time to mature."
    "Delaying solids decreases the risk of food allergies. "
    "Delaying solids helps to protect baby from iron-deficiency anemia.
    The introduction of iron supplements and iron-fortified foods, particularly during the first six months, reduces the efficiency of baby's iron absorption."

SOLID FOOD: BEST DELAYED -click for link
    "Adding solid food to a baby's diet will help him go longer between breastfeedings and perhaps sleep through the night."

There is absolutely no correlation between the presence of solids in a baby's diet - or the lack of it - and the baby beginning to sleep through the night. If adding solid food to a young baby's diet results in him going longer between feedings, it is probably because his digestive system is having to work overtime due to the strain placed on it by foods he is not physically mature enough to digest.
    I hope thats not too much info to digest!

Comment

From my understanding, and limited experience, babies will sleep longer stretches when they are developmentally ready and able to to so. My son woke every 2-3 hours until well into his third year - not good news, but honestly, I have caught up on sleep, and hardly remember the sleep-walking, sleep deprived woman I was just a few short months ago. Of course, baby #2 is coming in May, so so much for my good nights' sleep again! It really and truly doesn't last forever....

Comment

naomi gave you some GREAT resources. i tried cereal w/ds1 and had no luck w/sleep. w/ds2, it constipated him soooo bad, i ended up not feeding him cereals at all. in fact, no amount of food had any effect on their sleeping. and, yes, all children do eventually sleep trough the night. i promise, there is no one here still tending to their 16 year old in the night hours! (although moms may be up w/worry at that point )

Comment

thanks, kind of thought so - just really tired this week , feeding once every hour, maybe one 2 hr stretch a night, so was looking answers but just finished both attachment parenting book and NIght time parenting by Dr Sears which answered a few things, but Maya is teething and has been for 3 weeks, with another big tooth coming in last Sunday, just after a couple of nights of 3 hr stretches, the tooth started up = what are your thoughts on children's tylenol for teething?? thank you everyone, v reassuring to know you're not the only one when you have friends who have babies sleeping through the night at 2-3 mnths.

Comment

have you tried Hyland's Teething Tablets? they're completely safe, unlike tylenol, and you can give them as often as every 15 minutes. it's impossible to overdose homeopathic. you can find them at most health food stores, our regular grocery even carries them now.

Comment

PaxMamma - do you mean Tylenol isn't safe b/c of the risk of overdose?

Comment

i simply meant that all OTC and prescription drugs carry some risk of side effects, whereas homeopathics do not.
                Last edited by PaxMamma; 12-29-2008, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Deleted Message.
                  Last edited by tkfour; 06-16-2010, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Thank you again for the advice and support, glad to not be alone - using some CAMILLA homeopathic liquid that seems to be helping tonight... so far - HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X