X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mama*Pisces View Post
    Chicken with leftover roasted garlic cream sauce(with spinach in it), over brown rice.

Last night I made the sauce, added turkey meatballs, and put it over whole wheat spagghetti. DS is allergic to tomatoes, so I make this all the time instead. It's yummy.

Recipe thread, anyone?
    Ooh a recipe thread would totally rock!!!

Tonight we did a "Deli buffet" we sliced some garlic sourdough bread and a couple different kinds of cheese and meat and munched away. Tomorrow I'm planning to make a nice stew in the slow cooker.

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
      This is such a great thread, I'm getting some good ideas!

Potato and bean soup sounds seriously delicious...I'd love a recipe is you're willing to share!
      I have about three or four different variations of potato soup that I make. Here's the recipe for the potato/bean

About 10-12 small and medium sized Yukon Gold potatoes
      1 can great northern beans, rinsed and drained
      3 medium carrots, skinned and chopped
      3 celery stalks, chopped
      1 medium cooking onion (yellow)
      2 cloves garlic, chopped (or do what I do and toss in a scoop of minced garlic)
      4 cups vegetable broth
      3T butter
      2T flour or corn starch (I prefer corn starch, makes a much thicker soup)
      2 tsp dried dill
      salt and pepper to taste

-Peel and quarter potatoes and boil until partially soft (about 15 minutes)
      Chop the onions, celery, garlic, and carrots in butter until they are tender.
      -Drain the potatoes, return to the pot and add the vegetable broth, dill, and sauteed vegetable mix. Return to boiling, add the rinsed beans, and reduce heat. Simmer for about 25 minutes. Add the flour or corn starch and stir into the soup and simmer a few minutes longer, until the soup becomes thicker.

Be sure to add a generous amount of salt to this soup, it can be kind of bland if you don't. My 20 month old loves potato soup and would happily eat it every day if I made it for him every day! This can also be done in a slow cooker if you boil the potatoes a little before you add them to it. I put it the slow cooker on High for about 3 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by PaxMamma View Post
        oooh! that sounds too yummy! PLEASE post the recipe!
        K, forgive me, it's late and I need to go to bed so I can't type the whole thing out right now. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Broiled...ce/Detail.aspx

Definitely, definitely roast the whole head of garlic, though I find it easier to just break the cloves apart, peel them , then throw them in foil with some olive oil(I also chop them before I put them in the sauce). I use plain rice milk instead of cow's milk(and dairy-free Smart Balance buttery spread instead of butter), which I have found makes sauces thinner than they normally would be, so I end up having to use a BUNCH more flour. The spinach(I used frozen) I just kind of eye-balled, I would say I used about half a cup.

This is a GREAT cream sauce, and it's low fat compared to most others, since they usually call for heavy cream.

Comment

I love the idea for a recipe thread!

Last night we had homemade chicken nuggets (chicken breasts coated in any type of milk and dredged in any type of flour then cooked at 400 with some coconut oil in the pan), fermented gingered carrots, and fried corn (just frozen corn sauteed in butter with salt and pepper). We flew home all day, and I had the nuggets frozen in the fridge, so it was a really great quick meal after a long day. And we were sooooo glad to not have to go out to eat ~again~.

Comment

Originally posted by Garden Mama View Post
            I have about three or four different variations of potato soup that I make. Here's the recipe for the potato/bean
            Thanks for sharing that sounds so good, I think I'm gonna work into my menu this week!

So I was planning on making a stew tonight, but I forgot to take the meat out to thaw, so that's out for today. I think we are going to bbq some pork chops instead, DS won't eat the pork chops (he's really picky about his meat) but he'll go to town on the baked potato and the dinner rolls!

Comment

Tonight my toddler had turkey, mixed vegetables, and a little smidge of Stove Top stuffing. He liked the turkey best.

Comment

Originally posted by skueppers View Post
                Tonight my toddler had turkey, mixed vegetables, and a little smidge of Stove Top stuffing. He liked the turkey best.
                Naked Baby FLIPS for turkey! He was around 8mo at Thanksgiving and had been eating solids for less than a month, and he DEMANDED my turkey thigh leg. I don't think he actually at any/much turkey, but boy did he love gnawing and sucking on it. Chicken's good too, but nothing beats turkey in his eyes.

Last night we had leftover groundnut stew baked as a casserole - it's a tomato peanut sauce with chicken (and kale and mushrooms) over brown rice. It's one of the few things he'll just eat (instead of nibble and play with - although there was plenty of playing too ).

Comment

I threw together a quick meal of leftover millet sauteed in coconut oil with salt and thyme and some chopped smoked salmon from Whole Foods. And we had oven "fried" sweet potatoes with it. Yummy and quick!

Comment

So yesterday we ended up out running errands and we all got hungry so we went to Chipotle for dinner- I was suprised at how much ds loved the burrito, he even ate the chicken- and he usually hates chicken!

So tonight we're having those pork chops I mentioned earlier, probably with artichokes, maybe mashed potatoes if I have time.

Comment

Originally posted by Garden Mama View Post

About 10-12 small and medium sized Yukon Gold potatoes
                      1 can great northern beans, rinsed and drained
                      3 medium carrots, skinned and chopped
                      3 celery stalks, chopped
                      1 medium cooking onion (yellow)
                      2 cloves garlic, chopped (or do what I do and toss in a scoop of minced garlic)
                      4 cups vegetable broth
                      3T butter
                      2T flour or corn starch (I prefer corn starch, makes a much thicker soup)
                      2 tsp dried dill
                      salt and pepper to taste

-Peel and quarter potatoes and boil until partially soft (about 15 minutes)
                      Chop the onions, celery, garlic, and carrots in butter until they are tender.
                      -Drain the potatoes, return to the pot and add the vegetable broth, dill, and sauteed vegetable mix. Return to boiling, add the rinsed beans, and reduce heat. Simmer for about 25 minutes. Add the flour or corn starch and stir into the soup and simmer a few minutes longer, until the soup becomes thicker.

Be sure to add a generous amount of salt to this soup, it can be kind of bland if you don't. My 20 month old loves potato soup and would happily eat it every day if I made it for him every day! This can also be done in a slow cooker if you boil the potatoes a little before you add them to it. I put it the slow cooker on High for about 3 hours.
                      WOW!!! We just finished having this soup for dinner tonight and IT ROCKED!! Dh had 2 big bowls, and declared it a complete success. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Working...
                      X