X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginning to BF at 2 yrs old?

My 2yr old DS has just barely reached some of the developmental goals for his age, and before his second birthday, he was even below some of the ones for 12-18 mos... particularly in language development. He seems intelligent and is curious about everything, and his dexterity is beyond his older sister who is 4 yrs old; however, he doesn't speak very well, and often doesn't seem to hear us unless we talk very loud. I don't think he is actually hard of hearing because if I whisper his name from across the room, he turns to me, but I am really confused about this development issue. He also watches my mouth when I sing to him and copies my mouth movements. He is growing well, and other than language/hearing, he is a normal 2 yr old boy. I started supplementing him on 1 bottle of formula/day when he was a week old because I couldn't pump milk and needed to be away from him for a whole night within his first month. Because of my own ignorance about the benefits of breastfeeding and pure laziness, by 2 mos old he was strictly formula-fed and my milk had dried up. I am wondering (now that I am making plenty of milk for my 5 mo old and can pump regularly) if I pump milk for my 2 yr old and give it to him in a cup, would it make a difference in his development from now on? I know breast milk is superior "brain food", and am asking anyone who can give me some facts/links to sites about extended breastfeeding and the effects on development, or if anyone else has some personal experience on this. (This is my first post on an internet forum, so please let me know if you need more info.)

More info

I was just reading some of the previous threads in this forum and came across the one in Oct 2008 about BFg and the effects on behaviour. It reminded me that my son also seems especially angry and even violent - hitting, scratching, and screaming every day. I have read that this kind of behaviour is normal for 2 yr olds, (especially one with an annoying older sister who often gets in his face!) but am wondering if the severity of it is also a "side effect" of not BFg him, or he's feeling frustrated because he can't communicate with us very well? Any thoughts on this? I really want to be a more supportive and understanding parent, and I think AP is the way to reach my goals, but I'm new to many of the principles and need some support of my own!
    Last edited by Yummum; 01-22-2009, 02:47 AM.

Comment

Hi Yummu...First of all-- please be gentle with yourself His behavior may or may not be related (and you will never know!) so you certainly cannot beat yourself up for having trouble! Do your best now! Personally, I feel there is great benifit to children by digesting breastmilk even as a toddler, and others have documented similar results.... Some of the info in the sheet assumes you are nursing him, BUT a lot of the information is based on children digesting the milk. The advantages for you, as the milk producer (LOL) are also there!

Extended Breastfeeding Fact Sheet
      Nursing toddlers between the ages of 16 and 30 months have been found to have fewer illnesses and illnesses of shorter duration than their non-nursing peers (Gulick 1986).
      "Antibodies are abundant in human milk throughout lactation" (Nutrition During Lactation 1991; p. 134). In fact, some of the immune factors in breastmilk increase in concentration during the second year and also during the weaning process. (Goldman 1983, Goldman & Goldblum 1983, Institute of Medicine 1991).
      I say give him the milk!

Comment

Thx for the info!

Thank you Naomi for the great link. The "kellymom" site has been quoted on many of these forums, so I bookmarked it for future ref. I appreciate your support, and I know I shouldn't regret past decisions because I can't change them... all I can do is begin to make things better from now on. I think spending more quality time with just him will make a big difference in his behaviour too, so I'm going to do that as well as feed him breastmilk. He needs to be reassured that he doesn't have to (literally) fight for our attention. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
        X