Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refusing the breast?

Ok, now DD has decided breast is no fun anymore- at least not during the day. She'll only take it if she's STARVING, and even then keeps pushing away and cries if i try to bring the nipple anywhere near her. Is it time for her to just get food/neocate during the day? (Neocate because she has extreme cows milk protein allergy)
    Will my milk supply stay if she only feeds at night? (We cosleep and she feeds off and on all night)

Any experience here?

How old is she? Is she too busy playing during the day to nurse? How long has she been like this?

Comment

It can be a common phase for babies to eat less during the day and eat more at night...but I think you will get more confident/specific advice once we know how old your child is. Let us know and I'm sure we'll all chime back in with stories. In the meantime, hang in there!

Comment

This is super common at 9 months. Your supply will adjust to her demanding at night and not so much during the day. Once she masters certain key motor skills, she will most likely go back to nursing during the day too.

Comment

When my daughter was about 11 m she refused to nurse unless I lied down (nighttime)... she had an ear infection with no other sign of sickness.... just something to check for...

Comment

I'm so happy you posted this because I was coming to ask the same question. I have been having difficulty nursing my son the last 3 days during the day.

He is 7 1/2 months old and started crawling about 2 weeks ago and now is pulling himself up on things too. He is very active and has always been difficult to get down to the business of eating during the day. the last 3 days have been especially tough - today being the worst - he only nursed one time today where he finally stayed latched for more than a minute or so. but even that one time - he only nursed about 5 min.

I'm very concerned about my milk supply - is this normal??

He is one of those up every hour to nurse during the night - so he nurses a lot at night but I have no idea how much he actually gets because I usually fall asleep.

He has been eating solids for the past 2 months and we have been doing baby led weaning. He still eats solids - no issues there. We have started a regular routine of 3 meals a day and sometimes snacks of solids (started that about 2 weeks ago) - I was trying to offer a milk feed at least 1/2 hour to one hour before solids.

Should I be pumping?? How often? Up till now he was still nursing about 5 times during the day - morning, after each nap (3) and before bed.

I am so not ready to give up breastfeeding - what do I do in the meantime?

any advice would be so helpful,
            Thank you.

Comment

Here is some info here

Kellymom link-

Help -- My Baby Won't Nurse!
              By Kelly Bonyata, BS, IBCLC

It has a section with links to maintaining milk supply and nursing strikes.

LLL-link
              My Baby Is Suddenly Refusing to Nurse

another Kellymom-
              Reverse Cycling
              By Kelly Bonyata, BS, IBCLC

I hope that helps....

Comment

Originally posted by luvsunflower View Post
                I'm so happy you posted this because I was coming to ask the same question. I have been having difficulty nursing my son the last 3 days during the day.

He is 7 1/2 months old and started crawling about 2 weeks ago and now is pulling himself up on things too. He is very active and has always been difficult to get down to the business of eating during the day. the last 3 days have been especially tough - today being the worst - he only nursed one time today where he finally stayed latched for more than a minute or so. but even that one time - he only nursed about 5 min.

I'm very concerned about my milk supply - is this normal??

He is one of those up every hour to nurse during the night - so he nurses a lot at night but I have no idea how much he actually gets because I usually fall asleep.

He has been eating solids for the past 2 months and we have been doing baby led weaning. He still eats solids - no issues there. We have started a regular routine of 3 meals a day and sometimes snacks of solids (started that about 2 weeks ago) - I was trying to offer a milk feed at least 1/2 hour to one hour before solids.

Should I be pumping?? How often? Up till now he was still nursing about 5 times during the day - morning, after each nap (3) and before bed.

I am so not ready to give up breastfeeding - what do I do in the meantime?

any advice would be so helpful,
                Thank you.
                That sounds like a lot of solids to me. I've been told that until they are a year they only need solids 1 to 2 times a day, that it's mostly for practice and not meant to replace breastmilk. He should still be getting mostly breastmilk. Offering milk before solids is good.

Amy

Comment

Originally posted by connerleesmom View Post
                  That sounds like a lot of solids to me. I've been told that until they are a year they only need solids 1 to 2 times a day, that it's mostly for practice and not meant to replace breastmilk. He should still be getting mostly breastmilk. Offering milk before solids is good.

Amy
                  Thanks for the advice - I was wondering that too. My LO spiked a fever last night of 102 so that could explain the lack of wanting to eat. Poor little guy. I'm thinking he's been feeling miserable the last few days.

I will put some thought into the food thing though and try going back to just 2 solid feeds per day. he loves his food though and likes to eat whenever we are eating - that's why I went to 3 meals a day. ??

Comment

Our LO likes to eat when we eat too. Can you just give him a few cheerios or maybe a small amount of fruit during one or two of the meals? That way he can eat with you, but not have 3 full meals a day. DS is 11 months old now and he does eat solids more than once or twice a day now on some days, but just a small amount of food not a full meal. Fruit is a good one, it doesn't seem to fill him up and he will still eat a full meal of milk.

Amy

Comment

Working...
                    X