X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End of Breastfeeding - what next?

My 13 mo daughter has nearly self-weaned and I am not sure what to give her next with regard to milk??

We are down to just a feed before bed (which I think is more comfort and habit more than anything else). My milk supplies have obviously dropped and I am not really enjoying giving her this feed as a result. I'd prefer to end feeding having enjoyed it all the way through!!

My predicament is what to give her next. We have tried a couple of different formulas but she doesn't seem to like them. She doesn't seem to really like drinking cow's milk either. Maybe it is the way we are offering it? I have heard that goat's milk is supposed to be more similar to human milk??

And with regard to nutrition - does she need to have milk if she is gaining enough nutrients from food?
    Advice please?

Thanks
    Sam
    (Brand New to Forums)

Hello Sam. Once your LO is over the year mark there isnt a major worry with replacing the milk with something else. She will still need to be getting lots of calcium but you can do that with cheese and yogurt. Lots of LO still like to have a comforting drink for bedtime or nap time, but that doesn't have to be milk related... although sugary things are not good for their teeth at bedtime obviously. I think as long as your are giving her a healthy varied diet then you dont need to worry that she is missing anything from milk. Of course BM is a super food so I am not trying to suggest that its not important. Just saying that you do not need to replace with anything at this stage, especially if your LO is not interested.

Well done for making it this far with BFing.

Comment

And with regard to nutrition - does she need to have milk if she is gaining enough nutrients from food?
      no replacement white fluid is requied for health if she is otherwise eating well!

From Kellymom- http://www.home.kellymom.net/bf/weaning/weaning_faqs.html

The dairy industry has done a great job at convincing us that our diet is lacking in something if we don't drink cow's milk! Cow's milk is really just a convenient source of calcium and other nutrients - it's not required. There are many people in many parts of the world who do not drink cow's milk and still manage to get all the calcium, protein, fats, vitamin D, etc. that milk has to offer. Too much cow's milk in a child's diet can (1) put him at risk for iron-deficiency anemia (because cow's milk can interfere with the absorption of iron) and (2) decrease the child's desire for other foods.
      After the age of 12 months (or sometimes later, depending upon your child), milk becomes a more minor part of your child's diet. If you have a child who refuses to drink regular milk and is no longer nursing regularly, you can offer yogurt, cheese, and ice-cream as substitutes. Also, you might put milk into various food products: pancakes, waffles, French toast, scrambled eggs, mashed potatoes, and baked goods. Added protein may be offered via creamy peanut butter and a well-cooked egg yolk; calcium may be derived from calcium-fortified juice or green vegetables.

Comment

Thanks..

Thanks for the advice - its very reassuring to hear.

Stopping breastfeeding seems like such a big step and withdrawing breastmilk from her diet is a little scary! There's no going back - even though I am ready to stop.

I had read something similiar about cow's milk not being a part of many cultures' diet. Since looking into formulas and alternatives I started to wonder why cow's milk was so "essential" and have come to think that it really isn't very "natural" for us to consume another animals milk . So it is good to hear the same view point from other sources.

Can anyone suggest how to change the bedtime routine or suggest a way to introduce another drink. Do you think I should change the order of bedtime routine and introduce a drink at a different point to when I was breastfeeding? Has using a different type of cup/bottle to those used in the day helped?

Sam
        Last edited by Sam; 02-17-2009, 04:18 PM. Reason: Forgot to ask extra question

Comment

She's really quite young. How often do you offer? At 13mo, I offered all the time and encouraged my son to nurse if he hadn't for a couple hours. He nursed more often at home than when he was distracted out and about. At 22mo, he still nurses quite a lot, but I probably offer less. I do still offer, though, as I feel breastmilk is still quite important for him at his age.

At 13mo, I'd be looking at ways to encourage her to nurse more often while eating foods that would help supply.

Comment

Working...
          X