X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do??

My 12 month old has decided she doesn't like her veg. she'll eat almost any fruit, & meat i put in front of her. Bread is a hit or miss, and veg goes over the side of the highchair everytime. My public health nurse suggested that we reduce the amount of time she nurses. For example, instead of nursing her every 2 hrs i push it to every 3 31/2 hrs. So that she's more hungry and is likely to eat her veg. Start substituting bm for water. I'm not so sure about. I plan on nursing until she's about 3 yrs of age (if she wants). I do offer her water regularly throughout the day however she's never particularly interested in it. Have you guys run into this problem?? how did you work through it?? Got any suggestions??

That seems a little contrary to me! Why restrict the most benificial food (breastmilk) in hope she eats something else. I see no evidence of that happening! Keep offering veggies, but don't take away the nursing!

Comment

My son doesn't breastfeed but he's about the same age (13 months old). He RARELY eats meat (chicken and turkey), the only fruit he likes is bananas (and that is just recently), and he loves veggies and carbs. My pediatrician wasn't worried and just told me to keep trying new food (and he isn't even getting the benefits of breastmilk). I don't think you should worry and just keep breastfeeding as your daughter wants/needs. He surprises me every week at the food he likes now that he refused for the last few weeks. Just keep at it.

Comment

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/index.html
        http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ler-foods.html
        Some toddlers are eating very few solids, or even no solids, at 12 months. This is not unusual and really depends on your child - there is quite a big variation. We like to see breastmilk making up the majority (around 75%) of baby's diet at 12 months. Some babies will be taking more solids by 12 months, but others will still be exclusively or almost-exclusively breastfed at this point. It is normal for baby to keep breastmilk as the primary part of his diet up until 18 months or even longer. An example of a nice gradual increase in solids would be 25% solids at 12 months, 50% solids at 18 months, and 80% solids at 24 months.
        All you need to do is to continue to offer foods. Don't worry if he's not interested or takes very small amounts. Your only true responsibility is what you offer, when you offer it and how you offer it, not whether or not he eats it. That has to be up to him. Trying to force, coax, or cajole your child into eating is never recommended. Continue to nurse on demand, day and night, and trust your child to increase the solids when he's ready. As baby slowly moves into eating more solids, your milk will fill any nutritional gaps nicely.

Comment

your milk has more good in it than veggies

Where are you located, that is some bad advice, I'm in the UK and the BF advice here usually isn't very good either.

I BF too much too Sometimes just smiling and nodding helps when you get such poor advice

Comment

I agree with the pps about not reducing bfing, I don't think it's necessary and I can't see it making your LO suddenly want veggies. I think you got some bad advice.

Have you heard of the book "Deceptively Delicious" by Jessica Seinfeld? She uses vegetable purees in her recipes. The idea is kids won't notice the veggies. Some of the recipes can be used when you LO is older and some can be used now.

Have you tried squash and sweet potatoes?

Good luck,
            Amy

Comment

funny, isn't it?

It's funny how different kids' tastes can be.. My daughter is almost two and just picks at most meats, be it plain chicken, organic chicken nuggets or beef. Fish is hit or miss. Give her some cooked broccoli or brussels sprouts and she goes nuts and has since 1 year of age. She used to hate avacadoes and now begs for them. I just figure that if I give her plenty of healthy options, she'll eat something good at some point! I also try and ban any really sweet foods because she snubs good foods when she has had too many goodies in the past few days. I agree with what one of the other posts said: Just keep offering these good foods, continue to introduce new flavors to keep your toddler used to seeing and trying new things and keep eating these good things yourself. Studies have shown that these strategies increase the likelihood of your child developing healthy habits later in life, even if all your efforts end up on the floor . Good luck!

Comment

My 3yo is picky - didn't used to be. We are VERY into hiding fruits, veggies, and beans in baked goods. Most of my recipe ideas came from "The Sneaky Chef". I have "deceptively delicious" as well, but I like Sneaky Chef much better. (oprah didn't do her homework on that one) I make popsicles from fresh or frozen fruit - pureed witha small amount of sugar and some carrot or squash(you can use babyfood) and he eats 'em up. Pureed spinach can go in anything with cocoa powder to cover the color. This is the only way my son will eat veggies and fruit (besides the occaisional bite of banana or applesauce). I can't recommend this method of food prep. enough! Plus - I look at where he was diet-wise at 12mo (at one point I thought he'd never eat anything but strawberries and worried about what I would do to feed him at the end of strawberry season), and where he is now and theyre not even remotely similar, so who knows how his tastes will change over the next months and years.

Comment

I second continuing to nurse as often as your child wants. Nothing is more nutritious than breast milk. Continue to offer healthy foods. Your child will eat them if she wants/needs them. I believe it's a parents responsibility to offer healthy choices to their children (including breastmilk), but the childs choice on what and when to eat it. This is the best way to teach them to listen to their bodies and respond to their own hunger cues, rather than eating for someone else, which doesn't do anyone much good.

Comment

Working...
                  X