Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snack ideas?

What are you kids favorite snacks? Looking for snack ideas for my daughter. We mostly do dried blueberries, raisins, cheese, applesauce, yogurt and fruits.

Bella loves freeze dried mangos and mangosteens (totally different fruits) from TJ's. And those snap pea crisps they sell there too! Love em! Other than that, you pretty much feed your DD the same thing I feed mine!

BTW, Bella loves those organic yogurts by Stoneyfield in the tubes (yes they have sugar).....I don't give them to her too often, but when I do she loves them frozen!

Comment

Peanut butter balls are a huge hit in our house! We also enjoy making homemade soft pretzels...YUM! I'll have to check this thread often to get some more ideas.

Comment

We have Ants on a Log (a celery stick filled with peanut butter and then raisins stuck in the peanut butter), pumpkin or zucchini bread muffins (I make it with organic whole wheat flour and organic sugar), carrot sticks with Ranch (still trying to find a good dip without MSG) and just about any fruit; grapes, apple wedges (which are yummy with peanut butter too), pealed oranges, bananas, pears, etc. We try not to incorporate too much dairy or processed/refined wheat and sugar. I'm racking my brain for veggie snacks that the kids will actually eat. Carrot sticks and celery are as far as they'll go and even then not everyone will eat them.

Comment

all the above ideas are good, and healthy.
          If you are at home and you have time you can make animal or other faces with diff. fruits and veggies. They'll pick off the ones they like, and leave the rest for you to eat....
          I have a book with ideas+ photos of the snacks, so it's easy for me to make them. I can photocopy them for you.

Comment

Maeve LOVES frozen peas, still frozen , for a snack. Sometimes she even wants frozen corn! She also loves popcorn. Popcorn is a high-quality carbohydrate and is LOADED with fiber. She likes it with butter, cinnamon sugar, freshly grated Parmesan, or curry powder and raisins. I also make smoothies for Maeve. She thinks they're milkshakes!

Comment

Frozen smoothie - popstickels. We make smoothies from fruit and juice only, and put it in to the popstickel-molds. Superpopular.

The main snack in our home is fresh fruits though.

Comment

Originally posted by mama_in_PA View Post
                carrot sticks with Ranch (still trying to find a good dip without MSG) .
                You can make your own super easy. Here's my Ranch Recipe:

1 cup mayo (for dip...3/4 cup if for dressing)
                1/2 cup buttermilk (for dip...3/4 cup if for dressing)
                2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
                1 tsp. sea salt or other coarse salt
                1 tsp. celery seed
                1 tbsp. fresh oregano (1 tsp. dried)
                1/2 tsp. onion powder
                1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
                pinch of cayenne pepper

Whisk it all together and store in a jar in the fridge until the expiration date on your buttermilk.

Comment

Favorite snacks at our house include:

* fresh veggies with hummus
                  * lots of fresh fruit
                  * Veggie Booty
                  * whole grain toast with cinnamon honey butter
                  * baked pita chips
                  * Clif Kids Z Bars
                  * Lara Bars (I keep a stash of these in my diaper bag)
                  * dried and freeze-dried fruits
                  * cheese
                  * celery with raw-almond-butter/honey mix and raisins
                  * occassional marshmallows or chocolate :X

Comment

Originally posted by Corrina View Post
                    Popcorn is a high-quality carbohydrate and is LOADED with fiber. She likes it with butter, cinnamon sugar, freshly grated Parmesan, or curry powder and raisins.
                    I LOVE this idea! I've heard of Parmesan on popcorn, but never curry/raisin. It sounds AWESOME! I'm totally going to try it...and Butter-cinnamon-sugar - YUM! Great ideas!

Comment

ds2 has really taken to a banana cut in half w/peanut butter smeared down both sides. he loves ALL fruits, i'm having to limit the strawberries right now, they're doing a number on his bum.

Comment

My daughter loves frozen peas, blueberries and raspberries. She also likes hardboiled eggs, especially when she gets to peel them

Comment

Snack time versus meal time

We don't have set meal times in our house so the girls snack all day. I offer steamed broccoli (with nutritional yeast sprinkles), steamed sweet potato, beans (all kinds right from the can rinsed off), cubed baked tofu, and noodles in addition to all the things people mention like fruit etc. I also offer trail mix that I make with raw nuts (cashews, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, walnuts, pistachio nuts, almonds, raisins, cheerios, shredded coconut etc) that I keep on hand for snacky times. Then when it comes time for my dh and I to sit down for dinner they sit with us but if they are not hungry they are not required to eat, as they get older they eat with us more often than not.

Comment

Working...
                          X