Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else formula/bottle feeding?

Any other AP parents out there having to formula feed? I am unable to since I had a run in with breast cancer a few years ago.

I am formula feeding while supplementing with breastmilk from a friend.

Just looking for others in the same boat as myself!

Blessings,
    dharmagrlpa

How cool that you are using breastmilk from a friend! Very special.

I don't supplement with my second child, but I did have to supplement with my first child, who was a preemie. I wish I had known enough about donated breastmilk at the time! I used special preemie formula along with EBM as a supplement to breastfeeding.

Comment

dharmagripa
      I had to bottle~nurse my daughter due to my deal with the nasty cancer too (hodgkins disease).

We used my dear friend's breastmilk for a while and then went to organic soy formula, then to raw cows milk.

How old is your little one?

Feel free to pm me if you need any support other than here

Comment

I, too, have experience with bottle-nursing. My youngest was failure-to-thrive and after months of searching we figured out why, my prolactin level was basically zero. No prolactin = no yummy mommy milk!

I think it is wonderful that your friend is able to donate breastmilk, what a special relationship you two must have.

Comment

You earthmama's all rock!

I have found so many other ways to bond with my little man and he is really thriving on the the formula/breastmilk diet.

The only time I need support is when I am around hardcore lactivists who have given me a hard time when I have mentioned I have to formula feed. I don't always care to share the fact that I had to have my boobies removed and CAN NOT in any way shape or form breastfeed.

Cool fact: My son's first meal was breastmilk from my birthing coach. It was completely unplanned,but while we were laboring,she pumped and the nurses supplied a syringe(without needle!) to feed little Wyatt shortly after birth. Not a dry eye in the room.

Then my friend Katie (mama_in_pa) started donating milk and my son has the benefit of the great flora and antibodies he needs!

Comment

You are giving your child the very best; breastmilk and your love.

I have seen many moms, for varous reasons, unable to produce breastmilk, bottle nurse their child and you can see and feel the attachment between them.

Its disappointing that anyone would give you a hard time, I consider myself a lactivist and value the importance of human breast milk (which your son receives), but more so value the attachment and relationship that comes from breastfeeding (which it sounds like you have as well). With that said I equally value a mother's personal journey and her right to make choices that work for her family, even though it was a forced choice on your part with breast cancer.

Thank you for posting, its awesome to see such a great mom doing all she can to give her baby the best!

Comment

bottle nursing

With my oldest, since she was a preemie with a lot of problems that left me unable to breastfeed, I pumped and bottled breastmilk for three months before my supply dried up. At that time, she had to go onto prescription formula anyway.

With my second, I breastfeed most of the time, although I do admit to cheating a little to get her to sleep longer at night. I do give a bottle or two in the evenings. This also allows my husband to spend some time bonding with her.

I think it's great that you're taking the extra effort to give your baby breastmilk. There are just some circumstances that do not allow for breastfeeding, but luckily there are many ways to make bottling an intimate experience as well.

Comment

Both my 2 youngest were/are bottle and breast feed.
                I have friends here that have given Luecee milk so that she could have more milk then formula.

I did just figure out though that for the past 14 years or so I have been trying to pump with a size 24 flange (standard size), my flange size is a 36 and I am being rewarded with the benefits of pumping now, my milk supply is getting stronger! I also take medications to increase my supply.

I think it is so wonderful when a baby can be fed with/by love in either situation!!

Comment

Dharmagrlpa, I am a die-hard breastfeeding mama and think you are doing a wonderful thing for your son. Not everyone is able to breastfeed and we have to make the best out of our situations. Congratulations on being able to give your son all of your love! I hope you are able to find a helpful support system here.

Comment

Originally posted by amamaof4 View Post
                    I did just figure out though that for the past 14 years or so I have been trying to pump with a size 24 flange (standard size), my flange size is a 36 and I am being rewarded with the benefits of pumping now, my milk supply is getting stronger! I also take medications to increase my supply.
                    I really wish I had found out about this earlier too - I exclusively pumped for months for my dd, and I think I totally was using the wrong flange size. I probably would have stuck with it longer...

Anyway, so we also bottle-nursed with either pumped milk or formula. I also felt a bit embarrassed to admit that I wasn't breastfeeding to some other moms I know, but I don't think there was any reason for me to feel that way other than my insecurity and disappointment in myself for the situation. Once it came up, I never got anything but positive and supportive responses.

Comment

i initially went back to work when ds1 was 3mos, then quit after he was 9 mos, but for those 6 mos, i pumped for a friend of mine to care for him and feed him. i always wondered what other moms thought when they say her bottle-feeding in public. he was getting breastmilk the whole time, though!

Comment

Originally posted by dharmagrlpa View Post

The only time I need support is when I am around hardcore lactivists who have given me a hard time when I have mentioned I have to formula feed. I don't always care to share the fact that I had to have my boobies removed and CAN NOT in any way shape or form breastfeed.
                        Ditto sharing about our illness...

I was surrounded by breastfeeding families and luckily they were all close friends and gave me great care and consideration; it was still very hard to pull out a bottle amongst all my breastfeeding friends.

I always said during that time whenever I did go out into the public eye with out my shelter of friends, I wanted to wear a big T-shirt that said Cancer Sucks! on it so I did not have to explain to anyone Although you would think with no hair and the scarves on my head that maybe I was sick...

Comment

Re you aware of this group?

Its a milk shareing community around the country, I do use this service but it is an intersting option for those who cannot breastfeed.
                          http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...guid=264691946

Good job MAMA!

Comment

Originally posted by harmonicker View Post
                            Ditto sharing about our illness...

I was surrounded by breastfeeding families and luckily they were all close friends and gave me great care and consideration; it was still very hard to pull out a bottle amongst all my breastfeeding friends..
                            traci,
                            i'll never forget watching you feed elise, looking down at her so lovingly and her staring into your eyes, your long hair entwined in her fingers. it was one of the most beautiful moments i've ever seen.

Comment

I had to FF ds1 after 6 months of exclusive breastfeeding. I was pregnant with ds2 and lost my milk supply completely, and I didn't know about donor milk back then otherwise I would have sought that out. I also didn't know that I could have tried to continue dry nursing him. He was basically starving at one point and he had to have SOMETHING, and once we found out I was pregnant (didn't discover the fact until it was 14 weeks along) the ped I took him to basically told me to stop nursing, that nursing had no benefits past 6 months anyway, you did a great job, etc etc.... Thankfully I got in contact with an LC and we attempted to return ds1 to nursing with an SNS but it didn't work. So instead I pumped milk for him when his little brother was born-and that really helped me heal and feel better about the whole thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X