X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nursing Manners

I just finished reading an artical on nursing manners but there are a few questions i have.
    My dd loves to hold both breast in each and, while nusing to sleep she's pull/push one or the other so that she's alternating between each breast. I've tried wearing something that will cover me when nursing her to sleep but she'll throw this massive fit and will not settle for bed until she can have both breast. It's just started to do this (since she's developed croup and couldn't stay latched for a very long time because of breathing difficulties) however once the croup is gone and the behaviour continues should i just kind of tell her no we nurse of one breast first then the other?? What have you other mom's done? I've tried the nursing necklace but it's too distracting to settle down at bed time.
    The other thing is it's starting to get warm here in southwestern ontario and the other day i was wearing a v-neck shirt. Everytime she came near me she through a fit because she wanted to suckel (as she just nused half an hour before) i kept trying to discourage her and distract her from her toys but everytime she looked at me and saw the top of my breast she started digging in my shirt. She's under 18 months (13 months right now) and i'm trying to think of some ways to deal with this.
    In the tub she does the same thing. I've kinda let her nurse in the tub whenever she wants but now it's getting to the point we don't play because she see's my breast and spends the majority of tub time nursing. Again if i say no it's it's not time to nurse she throws this huge fit and begs in her baby talk (that what it sounds like to me) to have them with her arms outstreached. It's been 4 months will she ever tire of this??

Hi!

My daughter does the same thing. She's now 2 1/2. We have worked on this and minimized it. Basically, I am just honest with her. I tell her that I'd prefer she not grab or expose the other side when we're in public because I like privacy and don't want people I don't know to see my breasts. Now, she'll be very careful and say "No one's not gonna see your breasts mama." It's so cute

She definitely is understanding why I prefer things this way and working with me on it, which I feel is going to contribute to a much better relationship between us than if I told her what she could and could not do.

Best wishes!

Comment

Well I'm glad you posted this as I'm having a bit of the same problem.

Ds has taken to pinching my other nipple as he nurses or he pulls off and then begins to pinch and pull at my breast. I say to him Ouch baby that hurts mommy - please don't do that. Or I'll say - Mommy doesn't like it when you do that. Please be gentle. He has gotten a bit better so I'm hoping he's understanding. He's almost 11 months.

He has also taken to coming up to me and pulling down my shirt and if I try to distract him - he does get mad and talks his baby talk very loudly and continues to pull. If I do feed him - he just feeds for a minute or so and then pulls off and on - I figure he's only doing it because he sees part of my breast. Not sure what to do in that situation either.

As for the bathtub - when we have a bath together I would say that in the last month or so - bathtime has become 60% nursing and the rest playing. Really the bathtime doesn't bother me at all - it's close to bedtime for him so he's tired and it's great skin to skin contact. I enjoy that quite relaxing time with him.

Comment

Some days you just want to run and hide don't you?

Have you heard the expression "touched out"? Basically it means "if one more person touches me I'll scream" or "" I'd love a week in a closet by myself and no one touching me".

Every nursing mother gets this at some point, some of us more than others, I know people who get the feeling almost daily when blessed with high contact needs kids.

Even my husband gets this, when our 3 year old is clingly all day.

One thing I've learned being an AP mother and by being an API Leader is there isn't always an answer for these sorts of things.

You can try things to help but most often than not time is what is needed to sort these things out.

Support and a good shoulder to cry on can be a great help!

Do you have anyone locally you can cry/vent/moan to? Or someone you can ring? Do you belong to a local API or breastfeeding group?

Comment

i wish i could belong to a group like this. unfortunatly there is nothing like that available in my little town. i would look in the city but my dd hates the car.

"Ds has taken to pinching my other nipple as he nurses or he pulls off and then begins to pinch and pull at my breast. I say to him Ouch baby that hurts mommy - please don't do that. Or I'll say - Mommy doesn't like it when you do that. Please be gentle. He has gotten a bit better so I'm hoping he's understanding. He's almost 11 months."

oh i'm so happy to hear my dd isn't the only one to do this!

Comment

Originally posted by smurfsammy View Post

oh i'm so happy to hear my dd isn't the only one to do this!

You are definitely not alone!!!

I just wanted to add that ds has started teething again - hopefully top teeth to come in soon because he has taken to biting me again while nursing (it was bad while teething for the bottom teeth) and now that he has bottom teeth it hurts SO much!!! The other day he bit so hard he broke the skin!!

Oh the joys oh joys of breastfeeding!! So no you're not alone!!

Comment

My son has been doing that for a while. I was only able to use a cover with him until he had good control of his arms and could bat it away. When we nurse in a new place, he's usually good about only exposing one breast, but there are times when he will try to switch to the other just to get it exposed. I wear extra loose layers to avoid exposure. He is 12 months and has done the pinching/pulling too. I tend to wear a sports bra when we go out which seems to help minimize his trying to get to the other breast. He does switch back and forth a lot - but from my pumping experience, I know that my letdown is much slower on one side, and his switching helps to speed it up. The slow side has creamier milk, so he likes it as dessert. I hope that helps!

Comment

Working...
              X